Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Fila-Cycle's New 100% Recycled Filaments, ABS, HIPS & More

Today, December 10th, UK-based ObjectForm has announced their new, 100% recycled filament for use in FDM-based 3D printing. Fila-Cycle represents the world's first 100% recycled filament line, and is immediately available in four product types: rolls or pellets of either ABS or HIPS. The materials are sourced from landfills and automotive waste, processed, and available for use in your 3D printer. The filaments are still in their experimental phase, but are ready for applications in rapid prototyping now. Check out details on ObjectForm and Fila-Cycle in the full article: http://3dprint.com/29949/objectform-...ts-fila-cycle/

Below is a photo of a model ObjectForm 3D printed using their ABS Fila-Cycle filament and a design from InMoov:

As much as I love the save the Earth I have to say this will only catch on if the price is less than virgin material.

I still want to make my own with all of my failed prints though.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAlchemist View Post
    As much as I love the save the Earth I have to say this will only catch on if the price is less than virgin material.

I still want to make my own with all of my failed prints though.
    Unless the material properties are below those of virgin materials I don't think that statement is true. Surely I will agree that the price must not be higher than virgin or it will turn away all but the avid tree huggers but if the properties are the same I see no reason to choose virgin over recycled at the same price point. Now what would be really nice in the absence of a cheap and effective at home recycling option would be a program to have failed prints, support material, rafts, etc. sent in and recycled into new spools. Or you know, just develop a cheap and effective struder for home use

Yep to all of the above.

As we saw with the sales of other recycled materials (like toilet paper for example) people like to go green but, as we say in the USA, not give it up more even if the quality was superior.

Hey, @DarkAlchemist and @soofle616....

I'm Scott, director and Co-Founder of both ObjectForm and Fila-Cycle...oh and the one whom printed the robot head above!

You both raise very good question. Price is key, so too is quality, material origin, what the message behind the product is and why the product exists.

WE ARE OUT OF EXPERIMENTAL PHASE! Our 100% recycled ABS and HIPS is ready to purchase.

If the material was as good as virgin would you choose it over virgin if the price was the same?

Given we have not listed spools yet, here is an opportunity to let me (us) know your thoughts.

I will check this forum from time to time, you can also reach me at scott.knowles @ objectform.co.uk (remove spaces)

Once again thanks for your comments, always greatly appreciated.

Scott
    Last edited by ObjectForm; 12-12-2014 at 04:03 PM.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by ObjectForm View Post
    Hey, @DarkAlchemist and @soofle616....

I'm Scott, director and Co-Founder of both ObjectForm and Fila-Cycle...oh and the one whom printed the robot head above!

You both raise very good question. Price is key, so too is quality, material origin, what the message behind the product is and why the product exists.

WE ARE OUT OF EXPERIMENTAL PHASE! Our 100% recycled ABS and HIPS is ready to purchase.

If the material was as good as virgin would you choose it over virgin if the price was the same?

Given we have not listed spools yet, here is an opportunity to let me (us) know your thoughts.

I will check this forum from time to time, you can also reach me at scott.knowles @ objectform.co.uk (remove spaces)

Once again thanks for your comments, always greatly appreciated.

Scott
    Hope the business goes well for you! I'm just curious as to what your price's are by weight? I normally pay around $20 USD for a spool of 2.2kg abs. Is it around the same?

And as other's have stated, being able to send in our scrap plastic's and maybe send back a spool, like a trade-in system. You get about a 2 spool's of materials, send back 1 spool of filament ready to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    Hope the business goes well for you! I'm just curious as to what your price's are by weight? I normally pay around $20 USD for a spool of 2.2kg abs. Is it around the same?

And as other's have stated, being able to send in our scrap plastic's and maybe send back a spool, like a trade-in system. You get about a 2 spool's of materials, send back 1 spool of filament ready to use.
    Oh, boy that last part makes me excited. I would even go so far as to purchase a digital scales for that. 4.4kg waste equals 2.2kg usable filament back.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAlchemist View Post
    Oh, boy that last part makes me excited. I would even go so far as to purchase a digital scales for that. 4.4kg waste equals 2.2kg usable filament back.
    Tell me about it.....Trying to start a business? :P

@ Bassna,

Hey there, we are a UK based organisation and as such VIRGIN filament over here is approx. £18 on average for 1KG, slightly more than that of USA prices. Yes, if we bough bulk here in the UK this price would drop but we have found if the price is too good to be true, then usually the purported quality is too good to be true as well. That said, I could be proved otherwise, always open to correction!

So, our 1KG spools will be out next week and so too the price! Keep checking back on the site fila-cycle.com / .co.uk to find out

What we might be open to discuss is the possibility of state / city distributors over in the USA. Buying bulk allows us to discount the prices and we are currently looking for Global distributors. Get in touch if you think your a business that could handle this, or you are an individual with a little entrepreneurial spirit who could become a distributor.

@ Bassna / @DarkAlchemist,

I really love the idea of some kind of scheme that would allow you to send back the scrap plastic in return for processed material or a discount off an order. Drop me an email if this is something that interests you, let me know the quantity of waste material you have month by month for example, what you would like to see in the exchange, how you think it would work logistically. scott.Knowles @ fila-cycle.com

Thanks for comments, as I said, even if we cannot get to reply we will always try to read them,

Scott

I don't do that much printing myself but I know a lot of people that print 1kg every day or two (crazy imo) and for them this would be awesome but for anyone who just throws their scrap in a box and when it weighs X you can send it in for Y. Now, the tricky parts comes with shipping costs to you and shipping costs from you and that may negate any advantages that would have otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast