Close

Meth Raid in Australia Finds Loaded 3D Printed Gun

Australia is in the news again regarding 3D printed weapons. Just on the heels of legislation being passed in New South Wales restricting possession of or use of files for the 3D printing of guns, a bust has gone down near the popular Gold Coast. Offering up a highly sophisticated meth lab with surveillance equipment, as well as a 3D printed--and loaded--gun, the discovery offered up four arrests, including a member of the Lone Wolf biker gang. While discovery of such a high-level meth lab was big news, with new--and hotly debated--laws regarding 3D printed weapons having just been passed, the fabricated, loaded gun is interesting news, adding more fuel to the fire that the laws are perhaps too little too late. Read more at 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/110370/gold-coast...nted-gun-raid/

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    It amazes me how people think laws are going to stop bad people from hurting other people.

Senior Engineer
    Lack of laws potentially make anyone "bad".

The laws are there to limit access and that works extremely well in most cases. Angry kids in the UK and the rest of the civilised world can't get their hands on guns very easily.

OTOH, if you make everything illegal then everyone is a criminal. Just my 2 cents...

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Its the same old tired debate. History is, however full of examples of just the opposite. Bad people will always find a way to do harm to others if that is there goal, and no matter how many laws to the contrary they will still find a way. Criminals are the first to tell you (and show you), laws don't mean anything to them. It's only the law abiding that follow the law.

Furthermore, the fact that there is an article about a meth lab that also printed a 3D gun just shows you that laws don't matter to these people, because I'm pretty sure Aussies are not permitted to own a firearm (unless permitted by his/her government) or produce meth regardless.

We all know that guns are a rather inflammatory conversation, most especially in the US as tempers flare over both politics, a bevy of topics, featuring gun control at the top of the list. As 3D printing has become more familiar to everyone around the world, the fact that guns can be fabricated by those able to create or download and print the files has raised alarm. Australia has been in the news off and on over their restrictions regarding both possession of the 3D printed guns as well as files to make them. A recent bust near the Gold Coast of Australia involved the discovery of a meth lab and contraband to include a loaded, 3D printed 22 caliber. While the sophisticated meth lab was a huge ‘score’ for Queensland police, much attention has been placed on the gun, as it makes the fabricating of these guns--and potential negative consequences therein--a much deeper reality. Read more at 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/110691/australian-3d-printed-guns

I find interesting that none of the reports I've read mention if the meth lab actually housed the 3D printer that was used.

I just don't believe the Australian police are surprised by this. It is WAY cheaper and easier to build a 'firearm' from pipe and wood. I suspect they are making this into a "oh no the ski is falling' to gain attention to support even more radical people control laws IMO.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Its against the law to shoot someone.
    Its against the law to stab someone.
    its against the law to abduct someone.
    Its against the law to speed.
    Its against the law to steal.
    Its against the law to break and enter.
    Its against the law to lie in court.
    Its against the law to sell controlled substances without a license.

Yet criminals do it all the time.

Another law against something gun related won't change anything. Criminals will still do whatever they want to commit the crime they wish to commit.

Its this idiotic notion that another law will somehow prevent criminals from doing what they do that has forced peoples heads so far up their butts that they no longer can distinguish fantasy from reality which leads to moronic fear of the obvious.