Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I want one so bad! PRINTRBOT or ORION

FIRST post dont hate!
    So for the past 2 years i have been into 3d printers. Altho i have never really used one. I am currently looking for one to buy (hopefully by the end of this year).
    i have been keeping my eye on the Airwolf 3D HD2X but with a price of about 4000$ its hard to justify it as my first printer.
    so my price range has lowered to about $1000-2000.
    Now i have came really close to getting a PRINTRBOT Metal Plus,or the ORION Delta. Both about the same price, $1000-1400. depending if i get the dual extruder or not (Printrbot).
    I go to school for mechanical design and hope to make my own car parts. im good with CAD programs and plan to use the printer to make prototype test fit parts, before machining them out of metal.

Is getting a dual extruder worth the extra 200$? or is it just for fun colors.

What are your thoughts about the PRINTRBOT and ORION.
    i know one has a small build volume than another, but i can work with both.

HELP me make a good decision, i try to research this stuff.. but there are so many out there..

THANKS
    Mead

Welcome.

At work we have both single and dual extruder machines. The most helpful feature for dual extrusion, in our opinion, is using dissolvable filament for support. This can be very useful for complex designs, as removing the support material can be both tedious and damaging to your final part.

As I recall, fitting a dual extruder to an Orion is possible. However, it may be difficult. I'd recommend checking the SeemeCNC forum for details. The Printrbot Metal Plus looks like a good machine, and I'm seriously tempted to get the upgrade kit to modernize my home printer.

If your budget will stretch to it, I'd probably go with the Printrbot for simplicity.

Good luck!

thanks for the input, i dont necessarily do any complex shapes yet to need dissolvable filament, but it is something i can use in the future. i think having dual extruders might be useful to have.. im hoping Printrbot will still give me the "black friday" price... if they do ill probably order one today or near future.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by azn0boi04 View Post
    thanks for the input, i dont necessarily do any complex shapes yet to need dissolvable filament, but it is something i can use in the future. i think having dual extruders might be useful to have.. im hoping Printrbot will still give me the "black friday" price... if they do ill probably order one today or near future.
    Some people only use their dual extruders for soluble support etc, which I think is pretty insane and a waste of a second extruder.

Think a bit more in the sense of mixing materials, like clear transparent and solid plastics to make lighting, or mixing glow with another plastic... or bronze mixed with Wood, or simply just printing in multiple colours.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

i dont see much on the forum about the dremel 3d printer. i have one, and although it is not super fancy and has a smaller print volume, i have been running the crap out of mine and have been very pleased with the results. not bad for $999.00

I had the Dremel for a short time. While I agree it does what it does well enough, what caused me to return it is that it only does PLA. I got a Flashforge Pro clone (PowerSpec 3d Pro) for $799, and got a heck of a lot more for my money. YMMV...

im gonna check it out. im still within my return period for the dremel

i just emailed printrbot to see if they will give me the black friday deal, if they do that will be more convincing....

At the moment, i feel like i should have more questions about buying/maintaining/filaments. But i think i will come up with some as soon as i get the 3d printer.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    or bronze mixed with Wood,
    Got both of those !
    Can't wait to see what you do with the bronzefill geoff :-)

The printrbots seem to do a good job - but not that great a build volume.

Add GOC on Google+ Add GOC on Thingiverse
    - As an Orion Delta user I am quite pleased with my machine. I have over 200 prints with it and I love the print resolution I can get. The only down side is that the print area is smaller than most, but it doesn't really effect me to much since most of my prints are small. When I do a larger print I just section it off and put it into an assembly.

- This upcoming summer I plan on printing components to build a larger 3D printer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast