Close

Exporting a wireframe design from AutoCAD to ReplicatorG

Hey guys,
    I'm working on my capstone course for college and I figured as something extra that we would 3D print the thing we have designed. The problem I am running into is that whenever I attempt to export my file from AutoCAD to .STL, it asks for a watertight or solid object. The building we have designed is a wireframe for a tent structure, and in AutoCAD the pieces have no thickness or anything, so I don't think it can export.

Has anyone had any luck with something like this? I have attached an image.

Arch Screenshot.jpg

I'm just wondering really if there is a way I could get this to print in the state it is in, and just set the thickness when I go to actually print it? I've never used a 3D Printer before, but our school has one and I feel like it would be cool to show at the end presentation.

Thank you!
    Stefan

Hi Stefan,
    A wireframe is exactly that : thickness 0. You need to rework the thing to give a width and thickness to your beams otherwise it's a no go.
    Given the design you use, just redesign one of the arches to give width to each wire, then extrude it to give it thickness and then design the cross beams to be glued afterwards.