Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie...wondering about sailfish

Hey guys....thanks for setting up this forum.
    Read through a lot of posts already, i think I got a handle on some things ahead of actually printing for the first time.

Ordered a flashforge creator pro which should be here tomorrow. I am probably going to purchase simplify3d, as it seems pretty powerful and easy.I have a few rolls of PLA coming, a few rolls of ABS, and 3 rolls of bridge nylon...and I also took a chance and ordered the geckotek build plate (which i probably wont see for a while)

My question was concerning sailfish firmware.....is it that much better? What advantages does it offer? And can it only be installed easily through rep-g.

Thanks

Mike

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Congrats!

My best advice is use the existing firmware and get to know your machine before you start playing with any firmware upgrades. This way you when you do upgrade you will be able to notice any discernable differences between the two. I upgraded my board once and found it actually had more issues and more printing problems that required fixing. My acceleration rates seemed too high for what the motors were capable of, my prints looked like they were missing lines in the bonding between layers... just alot of weird stuff that never happened on the original. I reverted to the original version my machine came with, and I've had zero headaches since.

Simplify3D is ok. Some people here love it to death, I just see it as another printing program to be honest. I use combinations of software (mainly whatever is free and open source.. I find the upgrades and improvements flow quicker with the open source printing engines, like Slic3r etc) but that's not really applicable here. Replicator G is for lack of a better word, archaic. Right now most of what simplify 3D does im getting out of Cura, minus some profile management - and really, it was a preference simply due to the money. If you are happy to go splash $140 on S3D, then just go for it, I don't really feel yet like I'm getting that value out of it so I'm still 'evaluating' it
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Technician
    It is possible that recently built Pros may have sailfish already installed. My printer is the MicroCenter re-badge of the Pro, which I got in October. The firmware was different than the software on my earlier printer (warranty replacement from a failed controller board), and has the sailfish features built in to it, so I'm figuring that it is, indeed, sailfish.

When you get the printer, check the bed leveling, which you should do anyway. If it has a manual movement leveling routine, and if you poke around in the menus and find "ditto print" in there, you're likely running sailfish. I'm using the replicatorg 0040r28 sailfish version to drive my printer, and it's working correctly.

Cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Congrats!

My best advice is use the existing firmware and get to know your machine before you start playing with any firmware upgrades. This way you when you do upgrade you will be able to notice any discernable differences between the two. I upgraded my board once and found it actually had more issues and more printing problems that required fixing. My acceleration rates seemed too high for what the motors were capable of, my prints looked like they were missing lines in the bonding between layers... just alot of weird stuff that never happened on the original. I reverted to the original version my machine came with, and I've had zero headaches since.

Simplify3D is ok. Some people here love it to death, I just see it as another printing program to be honest. I use combinations of software (mainly whatever is free and open source.. I find the upgrades and improvements flow quicker with the open source printing engines, like Slic3r etc) but that's not really applicable here. Replicator G is for lack of a better word, archaic. Right now most of what simplify 3D does im getting out of Cura, minus some profile management - and really, it was a preference simply due to the money. If you are happy to go splash $140 on S3D, then just go for it, I don't really feel yet like I'm getting that value out of it so I'm still 'evaluating' it
    I will take that advice on the firmware....see what it can do first.
    Never heard of Cura, I will check it out

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdg56 View Post
    It is possible that recently built Pros may have sailfish already installed. My printer is the MicroCenter re-badge of the Pro, which I got in October. The firmware was different than the software on my earlier printer (warranty replacement from a failed controller board), and has the sailfish features built in to it, so I'm figuring that it is, indeed, sailfish.

When you get the printer, check the bed leveling, which you should do anyway. If it has a manual movement leveling routine, and if you poke around in the menus and find "ditto print" in there, you're likely running sailfish. I'm using the replicatorg 0040r28 sailfish version to drive my printer, and it's working correctly.

Cheers,

John
    Thanks...definitely be leveling the bed. Might buy a dial indicator and figure out a way to mount it....

Appreciate the quick responses guys.....I am sure I will have a few more questions before the week is out

Just an update....this printer is indeed running sailfish pre loaded
    bought it from BHPhoto.

Did a few prints....very pleased with the results so far. Increasing my PLA extruder temp from about 185 to 210 seemed to help with the brand of PLA I have in. Bed set to 60 had no problems whatsoever.

Next I will try some ABS, but I am really looking forward to Taulman Tglase....strong and stiff

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mdharrington View Post
    Next I will try some ABS, but I am really looking forward to Taulman Tglase....strong and stiff
    You and me both. I have some lightpipe designs that I really wanna get printed but I have to actually get some filament and a spare nozzle that I can drill out first.

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    You and me both. I have some lightpipe designs that I really wanna get printed but I have to actually get some filament and a spare nozzle that I can drill out first.
    are you needing .5mm

is that required for printing tglase?

Student
    Mine arrives Monday I will have a look and see what firmware it is shipped with.

Student
    It arrived today SailFish F pre installed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast