Close

Thread: E3D hot end

E3D hot end

Was looking at this hotend for a nice upgrade:

http://e3d-online.com/E3D-v6/Full-Ki...75mm-Universal

I'm currently using the Hexagon one, but I'm guessing it isn't compatible with the gregs wade extruder plastic parts?

Engineer
    you cant go wrong with an e3d. i have had a v5 and now the v6. they have a very short hot zone so they have real good control of the plastic. going from my stock hot end i was able to cut retraction and other ooze controls in half.

Ok, so it will fit my extruder parts? No new parts need to be printed?

Engineer
    Well that im not sure about. Many time you will need to print an adapter or something like that when you swap hot ends.

Engineer
    I use an E3D v6, it fits my stock Wade extruder (the one I got from MakerFarm) just fine. I did also get the E3D groovemount plate, but that proved to be too small, and I had to sand it down a bit to fit the groove on the hotend. I don't think I've tried the E3D with the wood groovemount plate from MakerFarm.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigern View Post
    I'm currently using the Hexagon one, but I'm guessing it isn't compatible with the gregs wade extruder plastic parts?
    Hi Stigern,

I know several of us are currently running the Hexagon hot end with no modification needed to the the gregs extruder from makerfarm. This gregs extruder supplied by makerfarm seems to have stayed the same since Makerfarm Prusa kit versions i3 6 inch to i3v 12 inch.

As to which hotend is better between the E3D and Hexagon, I believe they are very similar in design and I'm not aware of any performance increases of switching from Hexagon to E3D. Although, I suspect E3D owners may have some good points to make!