Hello.
Firstly, I would like to introduce myself. I've been aware of 3d printing for some time now, but always felt it financially out of my reach. Just a couple days ago, I stumbled on a youtube video by Tekzilla introducing the Printrbot company. I was immediately excited over the possibility of both buying a printer for as little as $350, and building it myself as a kit.
Some exhaustive research later found a couple of things that got my mind spinning even faster. I found videos for an even cheaper DIY setup with QU-BD oneup for $200. I did some research on this and found that plenty of people are designing their own modification parts for these to bring out the best in the setups, and posting them on thingiverse.
My question is this, I feel the building process would be an educational experience and would help me in my plans to start printing. Is either of these build kits a good starting point, in the forum's opinion? should I instead start looking at the RepRap, or is there another direction I should be looking in?
Don't worry, I've also entered the contest, but knowing the laws of averages, I'm still planning on buying and building one.
Thanks in advance for any replies I get to this.
Total newbie at this.