Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Japanese Company combines Swordsmithing w/ 3D printing to Make Ultimate Samurai Sword

We've seen 3D printed guns plenty of times. How about 3D printed swords? Ok not quite, but one Japanese company is using 3D printers to create, not the swords, but the cases for their high quality samurai (katana) swords. The product, called SUMISAYA is created using a Stratasys 3D printer and the results are quite stunning. Japanese sword making has been around for centuries, and the practice of swordsmithing has been passed down from generation to generation. This company, named Kabuku is introducing a little modern technology into the sword making process. What do you think? Read and see more at: http://3dprint.com/24596/samurai-swords-sumisaya/

Staff Engineer
    I thought it really needed to be pointed out that this is a Tanto, not a Katana and at first I thought the article just got it wrong... but from their website, they do use the same forging techniques for it that they use for Katanas (and for all intents and purposes, a Tanto is a very minimalist, concealable Katana), so I suppose it does still show off the features of their Katanas as you say.

All that said, this is absolutely beautiful.