Close

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Student
    Add jakers181008 on Thingiverse
    Also forgot to add, that the z Trigger now works but x Doesn't so it's the Board??

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    xmax should be reading as open; your data is suggesting one of the switches is connected to it. Re-check how the endstop connectors are plugged onto the RAMPS board. The RAMPS connector block for endstops should be hooked up as follows (from top to bottom assuming the board power connections are at the bottom)

Nothing plugged in (this would be Z max)
    Z min switch
    Nothing plugged in (this would be Y max)
    Y min switch
    Nothing plugged in (this would be X max)
    X min switch

Markings on the RAMPS boards vary by manufacturer. The labels where you should have things plugged onto the board might be something like X- or XMIN, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jakers181008 View Post
    Also forgot to add, that the z Trigger now works but x Doesn't so it's the Board??
    You might want to check your configuration.h settings for:

const bool X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop

It looks like the logic is backwards. I think the way you have yours configured versus how the switches are wired is backwards. But I'll let PrintBus see if that is true.

Yes, the settings were/are inverted. I was taking advantage of that in seeing how things were reading with no switches pressed. For now let's get the connections straightened out and then we can correct the inversion.

Student
    it's currently set to :

const bool X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    const bool Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.

and there isnt any markings on the board, but it is set up to X, Y and then Z in that order from left to right starting on the furthest left pins

Let's try another approach. Go ahead and make the firmware changes suggested by Roxy. This should cause M119 to show open on all switches when none are pressed. After that firmware change, when you press a switch, the MIN for that switch should show up as TRIGGERED in M119. This is ultimately how things will need to work. If any of the MAX shows up as TRIGGERED in the M119 results when you're pressing on switches, your connections aren't right.

EDIT: Feel free to post a picture of the endstop connections on your RAMPs board.
    Last edited by printbus; 11-16-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Student
    made that change in the config as roxy said, getting this:
    x_min: TRIGGERED
    x_max: TRIGGERED
    y_min: open
    y_max: open
    z_min: TRIGGERED
    z_max: open

Well, I don't know what to tell you. You have to get things to the point where all read as open with no switch pressed, x_min shows as TRIGGERED when you press the X endstop, y_min shows as TRIGGERED when you press the Y endstop, and z_min shows as TRIGGERED when you press the Z endstop. I don't know if your firmware change didn't take, or what.

I think I've invested about all the time in this project that I can. Hopefully someone else can continue to provide help. Beyond what I've already covered, follow through with Mjolinor's point about the stepper drivers and make sure all 3 jumpers are installed under each one. Presence of the three jumpers is what sets up the board for the proper microstepping. Finally, use your multimeter to measure the 12V supply output when you try to move a motor and make sure the voltage doesn't drop off.

EDIT: With regards to whether or not the INVERTING defines in configuration.h should be true or false, it really doesn't matter as long as the M119 is providing the proper response. The invert setting depends on how the endstop switches are wired. The Marlin firmware defaults to true assuming wires connect to the C and NO (Normally Open) terminals on the endstop switches, meaning that a connection will be made between the two wires when the switch is pressed. Most build instructions, however, run wires to the C and NC (normally closed) switch terminals. In this case, the configuration.h defines for the endstop switches present should be set to false, as Roxy noted in her post. But again, all that is important is that M119 shows TRIGGERED for each switch when it is pressed.

EDIT #2: If testing concludes Marlin isn't properly reading one of the MIN endstop inputs, remember the MAX inputs are unused in this build and are essentially available as spares. In file pins.h, the pin assignment for a bad MIN endstop input can be swapped with one of the unused MAX inputs that is working. Then the endstop switch is plugged on the RAMPS location for that MAX endstop. This might save having to replace the MEGA2560 board simply because one of the inputs isn't reading right. For the endstop inputs, the RAMPs board is just a connection path. If there's a problem reading a switch input, the fault is likely on the MEGA2560 board, not the RAMPS board.

EDIT #3: Your Marlin build is currently configured with what *should* be reasonable if not conservative feed rates and acceleration values. One line in configuration.h that is still suspect is the #define for DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT. There are web resources available that show how the mechanical details of your printer factor into equations used to determine the numbers. As mentioned earlier, the last number, the extruder steps per mm, should be refined through testing performed when the extruder motor is able to feed filament through the hot end. There are many web resources that explain how to go about extruder calibration.
    Last edited by printbus; 11-17-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Senior Engineer
    Post some pictures of your board or links to it with the stepper drivers removed. Pictures of your stepper driver boards too. Pictures in general can lead to solutions, people will spot wires wrong and stuff that we can't get form your descriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by jakers181008 View Post
    made that change in the config as roxy said, getting this:
    Careful here! That wasn't a code suggestion. That was a cut and paste of my settings!!! I just wanted you to know what I was talking about!!!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast