Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

3D Printing of Weapons - Can Anything be done?

This is something that really really scares me about the future of 3D printing. People can pretty much print anything using 3D printers. That includes weapons. You name it.... Guns, Knives, Chinese Stars, etc... the list goes on. In my mind, I can't see anything at all that will prevent dangerous criminals from getting their hands on dangerous weapons. You could outlaw the posting of STL files for weapons, but that won't stop anyone. You can outlaw the printing of weapons, but again, people will have printers in their own homes, where it would be impossible to enforce such a law.

Are we just doomed as a society when it comes to this problem, or is there a way to protect ourselves in some way?

Super Moderator
    Zip guns can already be created from all manner of common materials, but they are not a significant problem. I predict 3D printed firearms will be a similar non-issue.

Student
    Right now 3D printing has limits that prevent kids from downloading and printing a functional gun, the risk right now is that they'd hurt themselves trying.
    Anyone who can make a 3D printed gun work at the moment could also use other tools to make one out of a pipe and other parts found at a hardware store.

I agree it's a scary vision, but the neat apsects of 3d printing prevails.
    New products, medical applications, art....

As with other technology, educating kids about how to use it right, is the best way to pretend awefull things to happen.
    Bans are usualy just making things worse.

At this time this is a non issue, a person can make something WAY more dangerous from a few pieces of pipe, and a nail. Farmers have been making shot gun booby taps out of mouse traps, a nail, and a piece of pipe forever, way too many people have been killed by them. Yet they are not a big problem. I seriously doubt printed guns will become a big problem. I have no doubt that the technology to build a decent printed gun will soon exist, but it doesn't look like it does at the moment.

I do not remember the loud mouth in Texas name that claims to be printing guns, but what he is making is way more likely to harm the person firing it, than any one it is pointed at. When I saw his designs, I almost contacted him, I could have sorted out his problems, then I decided it would be better to let things take their course. He has some terrible material problems, not insurmountable, but currently he is no danger to anybody except himself. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing to ones self.

Technician
    This is how I roll, no printer needed.

071021-prison-weapons.jpg
    Last edited by crowbar; 11-04-2013 at 08:22 PM.

Engineer-in-Training
    Totally agree with crowbar. Humans are fragile, and we can be killed with basically anything. It doesn't take a 3d printer to manufacture a weapon, just a frame of mind.

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    I agree. It is a non issue, but there are those in the government that are against ownership of such weapons. Anyone against ownership of a gun will be against the printing of a gun. On top of this, in order to purchase a gun, you need a license, which requires background checks, etc. To print a gun, you need nothing. A criminal just out of jail for murder could easily go home, download a design and print a gun. I'm sure in the future, there will also be printable bullets. It's a bit scary, but something that must eventually be dealt with in one way or another.

Eddie

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I'm sure in the future, there will also be printable bullets.

Tafelodearmaus (probably incorrect spelling) has tested 3D-Printed buckshot and slugs before. They didn't work well, but they seemed like enough to kill.

In 2012, lots of people visiting us at Maker Faire were asking about printing plastic guns. It had just been all over the papers and the news. This past year, I never heard one person ask. I do not believe it is presently a big issue.

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    It was a big issue when the idea that it could actually be done came out, but once people realized that nothing bad would come of it, the idea kinda dropped off the face of the earth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast