Close

Student

Compiling Problem for Auto Level

Hi Everyone,

I'm really new to 3D printing and have very little experience when it comes to programing so apologies ahead of time.

The printer is a Mini Kossel with an optical z probe and Aurdrino Mega 2560/Ramps 1.4. When I try to compile the following Marlin firmware https://github.com/jcrocholl/Marlin there's the following error messages in Aurduino 1.0.6:
    Marlin_main.cpp:1523:14: error: #error "You must have a Z_MIN endstop in order to enable Auto Bed Leveling feature!!! Z_MIN_PIN must point to a valid hardware pin."
    Marlin_main.cpp: In function 'void adjust_delta(float*)':
    Marlin_main.cpp:3287: error: 'ACCURATE_BED_LEVELING_POINTS' was not declared in this scope
    Marlin_main.cpp:3288: error: 'ACCURATE_BED_LEVELING_GRID_X' was not declared in this scope
    Marlin_main.cpp:3289: error: 'ACCURATE_BED_LEVELING_GRID_Y' was not declared in this scope
    Marlin_main.cpp:3294: error: 'bed_level' was not declared in this scope

I'm confused, for many reasons, but mainly because of the following from my Configuration.h:

// Deltas never have min endstops
    #define DISABLE_MIN_ENDSTOPS

In PINS_H for #if MOTHERBOARD == 33 is the following:
    #define Z_MIN_PIN 18

When I comment out the #define DISABLE_MIN_ENDSTOPS in the Configuration.h I get the following error:

Marlin_main.cpp: In function 'void adjust_delta(float*)':
    Marlin_main.cpp:3287: error: 'ACCURATE_BED_LEVELING_POINTS' was not declared in this scope
    Marlin_main.cpp:3288: error: 'ACCURATE_BED_LEVELING_GRID_X' was not declared in this scope
    Marlin_main.cpp:3289: error: 'ACCURATE_BED_LEVELING_GRID_Y' was not declared in this scope
    Marlin_main.cpp:3294: error: 'bed_level' was not declared in this scope

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by MCOChuck View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm really new to 3D printing and have very little experience when it comes to programing so apologies ahead of time.

The printer is a Mini Kossel with an optical z probe and Aurdrino Mega 2560/Ramps 1.4. When I try to compile the following Marlin firmware https://github.com/jcrocholl/Marlin there's the following error messages in Aurduino 1.0.6:
    Marlin_main.cpp:1523:14: error: #error "You must have a Z_MIN endstop in order to enable Auto Bed Leveling feature!!! Z_MIN_PIN must point to a valid hardware pin."
    I think Geoff got Auto Bed Leveling going on his Kossel. You could look at his thread on the topic:

http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...-Delta-Experts

Student
    Thanks Roxy, there's a lot of good info in that thread, unfortunately nothing about the compiling issues but I'm sure to use some of those tips in the next phase!

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I don't know the code, nor the printer, but....

Is DISABLE_MIN_ENDSTOPS ever assigned a value? If the code is trying to see if something exists, or has a value, but was never assigned a value, it might throw that error.

And check to see if the constants/variables that are listed in the "scope" errors are actually defined for that scope. They may somehow be limited to loop() or some other function that is not allowing them to be used in adjust_delta().

Thanks Roxy, there's a lot of good info in that thread, unfortunately nothing about the compiling issues but I'm sure to use some of those tips in the next phase!
    Marlin firmware is supported down in the RepRap section of the forum. How about we move this thread down there???

There were some compile time errors in the Marlin code base when the Sled Docking got added. I think that has all been cleaned up. If you grab the latest revision of Marlin from Erik Zalm's GitHub account, my guess is it will compile clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    Is DISABLE_MIN_ENDSTOPS ever assigned a value? If the code is trying to see if something exists, or has a value, but was never assigned a value, it might throw that error.
    It doesn't need a value. It is either defined, or not defined.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Marlin firmware is supported down in the RepRap section of the forum. How about we move this thread down there???

There were some compile time errors in the Marlin code base when the Sled Docking got added. I think that has all been cleaned up. If you grab the latest revision of Marlin from Erik Zalm's GitHub account, my guess is it will compile clean.

It doesn't need a value. It is either defined, or not defined.
    Thanks the the suggestions. I checked Erik's latest firmware on GitHub but it doesn't appear to be setup for Delta's as it's missing a lot of the Delta settings: diagonal rod length/smooth rod offset/effector offset etc.

If you think this will get more traction in another forum then i'm 100% ok with the thread being moved.

Thanks!

Thanks the the suggestions. I checked Erik's latest firmware on GitHub but it doesn't appear to be setup for Delta's as it's missing a lot of the Delta settings: diagonal rod length/smooth rod offset/effector offset etc.
    I don't have a Delta printer... But people here have configured Marlin to use on them. I'm positive it can be done and is straight forward. One of the Kossel people should be able to help you.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I don't have a Delta printer... But people here have configured Marlin to use on them. I'm positive it can be done and is straight forward. One of the Kossel people should be able to help you.
    Thanks Roxy!

Student
    Update: Never resolved the compiling issue but the following firmware worked much better: https://github.com/jcrocholl/Marlin/tree/fsr

The printer will home, and I've had some success moving the print head in Repetier host, but unfortunately I fried some of the electronics while troubleshooting an endstop issue. I have a makergeeks kit with an optical endstop built into the effector. When I issued a G29 command and manually activated the optical endstop by pushing on the hot end, it wouldn't stop moving downwards. I suspected a firmware issue but wanted to rule out wiring so I plugged the endstop in backwards. When I reconnected the power, the power cycled on and off repeatedly, so I removed power and put the endstop wires back to the way they were, but now the PC won't recognize the Arduino...now I'm waiting for some new electronics to be shipped. The end stop itself appears to be working fine (Red LED is always on but goes out when I push up on the hot end).

I'm pretty sure the issue with this endstop is in firmware. Anyone using a Mini Kossel, or any Delta, with an optical endstop on the effector? What do you have configured in your firmware? When I ask makergeeks i got "config.h file in your marlin and double check that you have the opto-switch selected for the endstop", I've tried 3 different versions of marlin firmware and none have any reference to optical endstops.