Close

Cutting a Part before printing to get it to print in 4 pieces

Vette over Porsche.jpg

What is the best way to cut parts to print and then assemble them after printing? I am working on a Trailer for a RC truck and the parts I downloaded off Thingiverse are bigger than my print bed.

Second I want to print the attached picture. Just the Porsche logo, as I already have the corvette logo that is on my car and I want to create this logo on my car in several places, so I could cut it after the fact, but would rather just print it in pieces. I already have found a decent file on Thingiverse for this.

Also need to get back into printing so thank you all for the help so far, and I will be attempting to get into my Auto bed leveling, and also some other custom and calibration things. I will have so many questions for everyone.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    As far as cutting up the 3d models, I have heard netfabb has this capability though I have not used it. That could be a place to start looking.

However, if I was going to do this as quickly as possible, I would remodel the exact logo you have above in google sketchup. You can import the picture on to the top plane and use the free form line tool to trace the shape of the logo. Next you can use the pull tool to make the emblem as thick as you'd like. Then you can export the STL files individually by selecting the piece you need and clicking export selected geometry only. Doing this would allow you to have the 4 separate pieces. You'll need to install the free STL extension inside sketchup. If you need any help with sketchup I'd be happy to help!

Thank You. I will look into this. Sure am looking forward to winter getting here so everything else that is going on slows down and I can get back to working with my printer.