Close

Researchers Create a 100% 3D Printed Quantum Dot LED

After years of research, one team may finally have accomplished a far-reaching goal of the 3D printing world. Michael McAlpine and his team out of Princeton University have 3D printed an entire functioning quantum dot LED. Quantum dot LEDs are not quite the same as LEDs in consumer electronics like TV and computer screens, but they are similar -- just more durable, efficient, and flexible, as well as maintaining very high color purity. Five materials are layered together using a custom 3D printer to create these LEDs; they are 100% 3D printed into one single object during fabrication, which is a very important first. The success of this project may just have far-reaching implications across a broad spectrum of industries and may even lead to one day 3D printing your own TV, computer screen, smartphone, or other technologies right at home. Read the full article for more details: http://3dprint.com/23084/3d-printed-quantum-dot-leds/

Below is an image of the layered structure of the 3D printed quantum dot LED:

Senior Engineer
    I dread to think how much those 6 rolls of filament will cost you.

Technician
    This gives me hope for a 70" sub $1000 quantum dot TV by 2018.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    one more step towards the start trek replicator.

The fact that it's now possible to easily make a single funtioning prototype, has added an exponential evolutionary aspect to technology that's truly amazing !

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by brbubba View Post
    This gives me hope for a 70" sub $1000 quantum dot TV by 2018.
    So the crap they put on can be viewed even bigger at higher resolution. Hmm, not something I am waiting for.