Close

California Senate Passes 3D Printed 'Ghost Gun' Bill

When it comes to the 3D printing of firearms, it's certainly a hotly debated topic. This weekend, the California Senate passed a bill which would make it illegal for anyone in the State of California to 3D print a gun unless they had prior DOJ approval. Also they would be required to obtain a serial number which they would need to etch into the weapon from the DOJ upon approval. The Bill passed the Senate this weekend, and is now headed to Governor Jerry Brown's desk to either be vetoed or signed into law. More details on the bill and what it could mean can be found here: http://3dprint.com/13505/california-...rint-gun-sb808

Let's hear your thoughts. Should this be a Law in California? Will Brown sign it into law?

Engineer-in-Training
    I don't expect Brown to veto. Election politics just won't let that one rest. By what other motivation than election politics would such a ban be made? No recorded cases of these being used to help commit a crime or make a threat against anyone in the entire world. And it's not as if California prisons aren't overcrowded, so all these imaginary plastic gun criminals, if they existed, would only compound the problem.

So I decided to spend close to an Hour ‘Googling’ all sorts of phrases such as ‘3d printed gun crime’, ‘crime committed with 3D printed gun’, etc. How many crimes could I find which were reported online being committed with a 3D printed gun, in the history of the world, on every continent? The answer was one, and that was on the TV show ‘Elementary’, when Lawrence Pendry used a 3D printed gun to murder his wife.
    There's also an episode of CSI where a 3D printed gun was used to commit a murder.

Senior Engineer
    How have they defined "a gun", Presumably the law either covers only assembled guns or defines the parts that are illegal.

I think it is one whole can of worms that wouldn't stand up in court for people having parts or even mostly assembled and there are surely laws already in place for using them be they plastic or not.

In the picture above you only need to remove any one of the parts and you have no more than you could buy at toys r us.

Student
    Every toy that threatens corporate profits will be illegal someday like 3d printers and photography drones...

Make bullets illegal or as Chris Rock says sell them for $5,000.00 dollars.

Student
    “Gun control? We need bullet control! I think every bullet should cost 5,000 dollars. Because if a bullet cost five thousand dollar, we wouldn't have any innocent bystander .”
    --Chris Rock