Close

Software for cleaning mesh after 3d scanning?

Hi all.

I've access to the makerbot digitizer and have modelled a computer mouse out of polymorph, so I want to scan it and use the 3d model for making a mold, so I can cast it and apply electronics to it.

The polymorph is white and a little shiny, will this have a bad effect for the scan? right now the background from the scanner is white and artificial light is being used.
    What else can improve the scan?

What software will be the best free / education license, to clean up the mesh and change the 3d model.
    I can use Inventor and have started using 3ds max for the last month for arch viz, so I was wondering if 3ds max will be any good? or should I use meshmixer? or what do you use, and why?

If you've any great tutorials, feel free to post them as well, I'll really appreciate it.

looking forward to hear what you smart people has to say about this, thanks

best regards

White and shiny are about the worst case scenario of scanning. Get a spray can of gray primer paint and spray your object. That will get rid of the shininess, (and make it dull) Then take some coloured marker pens and draw squiggly lines, dots, stars etc over the model to provide contrast. Then put a page from a newspaper classified ads section on the scanner's bed and background. This disrupts the laser return so that you get better results.

Artificial light is OK.

There is free software out there, but I can't direct you to it because I don't know it well enough.

Old Man Emu

Thank you Old Man Emu.

Perfect, I've an airbrush, so I'll just paint it.

Cool tips about the news paper, I'll apply it.

Im reading up on all the software at the moment, seems like a lot can be used, blender, 3ds max, meshmixer, meshlab, zbrush and so on.. With sculpting programs like zbrush, one will need to be aware of the high poly count, and might therefore export it into a 3rd part software afterwards.

Hope someone with experience with the use of software will come by and give his/her take on it while I'm reading up on it.

Technician
    Follow JSenior On Twitter Add JSenior on Facebook
    I've never used a makerbot scanner, so perhaps take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt, but I'd be surprised if you would want to cover it in scribbles. It is presumably referencing itself through the turntable, and all it is doing is measuring laser time to the surface of the object, so the more consistent the surface the better.

A developer spray is probably best but again a light (not black) matte paint will be fine. If you don't want to paint it then put some car polish on it and let it dry. It will dull the surface.

A high contrast background is no problem, but be careful it's not causing additional noise (e.g. if it was shiny.)

Have you got a picture of the mouse you're looking to scan? Will be easier to recommend what programs to use.

The free programs are a long way away from the commercial ones. For merging and clean up I'd probably start by downloading a trial of Geomagic Studio. Lot of options if you want to solid/surface model it...

Quote Originally Posted by JSenior View Post

Have you got a picture of the mouse you're looking to scan? Will be easier to recommend what programs to use.

The free programs are a long way away from the commercial ones. For merging and clean up I'd probably start by downloading a trial of Geomagic Studio. Lot of options if you want to solid/surface model it...
    Thanks for you reply JSenior.

I've attached a few pictures, and painted it in primer, I'll try scanned it as it is first, if not I'll add effects like lines and dots to see if it makes the scan better and then learn from this process.

So this is what I've decided I'll be during tomorrow after being reading for hours about it today.

Scan - clean the model and add / make changes to the surface in Sculptris, then 3d print it and see if the shape is better.
    then export it to 3ds max and cut the mouse in two or three separated pieces and make a shell, cut out for buttoms, cord and electronics. Then make a mold from the two or three separated pieces and have them cnc machined - cast the parts in resin and assemble the parts.

I expect some errors before it matches up well and it ain't supposed to be great, it's a learning process for me to become a better prototyper and product developer.

billede186.jpg billede185.jpg
    Last edited by dynamitetalks; 10-29-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Does the makerbot digitizer not come with appropriate software? I believe it's called Makerware?

If not, here's a relevant instructable. Ignore the scanning part and start at the mesh cleanup part.