Close

Calibrating movement in the three Axes, and Extruder feed

Doing the Marlin ABL update with all its little bells and whistles seems to be the opportune time to calibrate the movement of the three axes and the extruder feed. There are plenty of videos showing how to calibrate the extruder. Does one follow similar procedures to calibrate the three axes?

What I was gong to do was zero the extruder at the point (100,100,0)on the print board, then, using the Pronterface control panel, select a move of the extruder to (50, 100,0) and measure the actual distance the extruder moved. Then use the actual distance to modify the firmware code as is done for an extruder calibration.

Then I was going to do a similar move with the Y axis.

Am I on the right track?

Old Man Emu

Engineer-in-Training
    That's exactly what i've done in the past for all my printers. Set the head at a point, and then measure 50mm from the tip of the extruder, mark it, and then move the axis 50mm. See what the actual travel distance is, and then use that to update your steps.

Engineer
    The http://reprap.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Calibration says, "It has since been agreed that [X, Y] steps/mm should be set to the exact calculated values since printing with non-ideal steps/mm results in an accurate test piece, but makes the dimensions on every other part even more inaccurate." Use this calculator http://prusaprinters.org/calculator/#steppermotors to figure out what your steps/mm should be based on the hardware you're using.