Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Technician
    I am curious how you are getting .39 - .41 wall thickness. I also am running an E3D v6 for 1.75 mm and so far the best I can do is about .49. What settings are you running with? Are you using PLA or ABS?

Thanks.

Engineer
    The measurements I reported were with 1.75 ABS. Slic3r is set with a 1.75mm diameter and 1.02 extrusion multiplier for this spool, determined as described in the link I posted. Print Settings and Printer Settings have just two saved profiles, one for ABS, one for PLA. Filament Settings has many saved profiles, one for each spool. I use a 24mm hollow cube .stl sliced for ABS and PLA with 1 perimeter, 0 infill, 0 top layers, spiral vase option enabled, 1.75mm diameter and 1 extrusion multiplier, to provide the baseline object against which I determine the extrusion multiplier.

Technician
    Abu- I'm curious what your gcode reported in relation to the actual measurement. At the beginning of the gcode it lists the "external perimeters extrusion width =" value. How does this value correspond to your measured values? Probably not important, but I would like to know if the correlation is even close to accurate.

Engineer
    ; generated by Slic3r 1.1.7 on 2014-10-29 at 19:18:24

; perimeters extrusion width = 0.40mm

Technician
    Yeah, I may need to experiment more. I looked at the instructions referenced earlier. That one used 3mm filament and the instructions say to leave the Slicr settings to standard as far as widths. He used a .4 mm end and Slicr reported a perimeter of .67. Like Abumaia, my code (printing one perimeter) shows a perimeter of .4, but the best I could get it down to was about .49 measured. That was all the way down to about 85% rate. I'm not sure how you get .39 to .41 out of a .4 head. It seems like there would be some expansion??

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by AbuMaia View Post
    ; generated by Slic3r 1.1.7 on 2014-10-29 at 19:18:24

; perimeters extrusion width = 0.40mm
    So the extrusion specified by Slic3r is tracking very nicely with the measured value after you set your extrusion multiplier. That's very encouraging for seeing the cal have the desired effect with Slic3r. Thanks for checking that ABU. Great info. Although I'm not sure if the calibration is affecting the Slic3r information (used as part of the calibration. I hope so since that would be dynamic and should track to other wall thickness requests), or if the slice3r information now matches the actual extrusion thickness because of the calibration (and would pertain to only that thickness that you calibrated). But either way it is good to see the calibration seems to make a difference in requested vs. actual in at least the calibrated wall thickness.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123