Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar

first ninjaflex print !

I'm about halfway through a marvin.

Zero problems loading or extruding the flex.
    Damn I'm a happy bunny.

And all I've done is wedge open the tensioner lever. That's it !!
    Just a bit of pc case metal. Cut to width and folded in half.

Better shot of the whole setup. Oh yeah the duct fan is running just frozen by the camera flash.

Printing at 0.2mm, 40mms or 2400mm per minute if you're using simplify3d (how is making you divide by 60 making it simpler ?)
    25% infill
    220c and 45c bed.

The legs started a bit wobbly - but this is off makerware as I just wanted a quick print and I haven't really got grips with simplify yet (only bought it last night).
    But with a real slow first layer I reckon this'd be spot on.

Front and back shots of finished ninja marvin

Add some pliers

Some of the layers aren't quite stuck - but then 40mms is very fast for ninjaflex. I think they recommend 25mms for best results. And i could probably bump the nozzle temp up a little as well.

But for my first ever ninjaflex print - I'll take that :-)

And now, just to push my luck, I'm going to try a hollow ninjaflex marvin !

Back in a bit :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-04-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Looks great! Love the Marvin, we printed a bunch at Maker Faire as give a ways.

IMG_4056.jpg
    Last edited by JohnA136; 10-04-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Well that makes a helluva difference.

Printed at 20mms and zero infill, kept all other settings the same.

Squash's even better than the other one.

Apart from some minor stringing - which you're not going to be able to entirely avoid with stretchy filament - that's damn near as good as the abs marvin !

Well that's ninja flex cracked.

Now to play with pla :-)

I could really get used to these cold bed filaments.

Left the wedge in - doesn't seem to bother the pla, printing a model that's been warping with abs. Curious to see the difference.
    Begs the question: what purpose do the full on tensioners serve ?
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-06-2014 at 05:08 AM.

Hi

I just tried Ninjaflex on my Creator Pro, first time I printed a small model without any modification to the spring. Everything went perfectly fine!

Next run I had a major tangle :P had to unjam the extruder, so I tried jamming different objects in the spring tensioner. But after a few seconds of extruding it would stop and make that "knocking" sound. I tried everyting from tape rolled together to bits of zipties. But it can't make it extrude fine.

Did you try some more with ninjaflex? Any other tips?

I've not got a lot of ninjaflex and no plans to buy it (come on it's £50 a lb !). I have printed some mini crossbow cords. Worked fine.
    Hmm, I only have the creator. There's a chance you night have different extruders.
    I know that a lot of the parts on the pro are very different than on the original creator.

So all I can say is that wedging the tensioner with metal about 1mm thick pushed right to the back, is all I need to do on mine.

I've got some filaflex and flexible pla samples that I haven't tried yet. But the ninjaflex is the 'wiggliest' of the three so I don't envision any issues with the other two.

Oh yeah - here's my mega cheap filament rolls for flexible filament samples.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:484241

Half a bog roll centre and about 5 gms of plastic :-)

Technician
    I had no issues with Ninjaflex - yes I bought a roll after getting a sample first, it's the only thing that will do for something I am working on at the moment. It is expensive that's for sure - 4X the cost per KG more or less vs PLA/ABS.

Only thing I ended up doing was I replaced the extruder mechanism with this one - https://makerware.thingiverse.com/thing:297170 - this completely stopped the filament going around the drive gear, which is the problem with flexi filaments. Works like a charm and just leave it in place now.
    Wedges also worked, but I kept forgetting to take them out/put them in

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    If you are getting alot of spines and spider webbing then mess with your retraction, I never even needed to touch retraction settings ever until I started playing with Flex filament. My first ever print had web's everywhere, and the cleanup of support was a nightmare, but with a faster retract it stopped that no worries. I still have a few problems printing hollow objects with flex, I am not a fan of the bonding layers unless I use 3 shells.

I print the flex at about 30ms, seems ok. 40ms was not even that bad, I found it's when I hit 60 it just got goopy.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Student
    Congrats guys on getting this to work
    Bobbler, great link, thanks! Gonna upgrade printers.

You can actually push above 60mm/s, even well into 80-90s. Set the temp to 250-260 degC, and play with layer height. 0.2 layer has a 2x extrusion speed multiplier compared to 0.1, and that's the parameter you really care about.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by basfud View Post
    Congrats guys on getting this to work
    Bobbler, great link, thanks! Gonna upgrade printers.

You can actually push above 60mm/s, even well into 80-90s. Set the temp to 250-260 degC, and play with layer height. 0.2 layer has a 2x extrusion speed multiplier compared to 0.1, and that's the parameter you really care about.
    It depends on what you are printing. I can print flex at 70mm/s if it's an Iphone case, but when it's something very small, no bloody way.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Technician
    CA, been looking for a filament holder, following you now as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast