Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Student

I wish someone would design ... (my suggested design & other suggestions)

Someone should team up with MDs to design parameterized IUDs. From first exam to customized device to insertion in 1 day. Material cost under $1.00. Most of the world's problems are traceable to overpopulation.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Ross View Post
    Most of the world's problems are traceable to overpopulation.
    Created by lack of education.

Student
    There are no fundamental or basic causes for anything. For any cause, you always can ask why, and produce one or more reasons that caused the cause. Overpopulation is one of the causes for global warming, ocean acidification, food shortages, loss of arable cropland, inflation, mass extinction of species, and many more. Think behind the daily news and you will see consequences of overpopulation everywhere.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Someone should team up with MDs to design parameterized IUDs. From first exam to customized device to insertion in 1 day. Material cost under $1.00. Most of the world's problems are traceable to overpopulation.
    If there is a good amount of money to be made in it, you can already be rest assured there is a pharmaceutical company somewhere already well into progress on them.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    If there is a good amount of money to be made
    Not for money. Because it is the right thing to do. A little effort could have a major effect on overpopulation, by making contraception conveniently available and affordable to a large part of the world's population who are denied access now. People created this mess. Only people can fix it. Please, someone with appropriate talent, help solve this problem. There are few situations where a technological fix can be so effective.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Not for money. Because it is the right thing to do. A little effort could have a major effect on overpopulation, by making contraception conveniently available and affordable to a large part of the world's population who are denied access now. People created this mess. Only people can fix it. Please, someone with appropriate talent, help solve this problem. There are few situations where a technological fix can be so effective.
    There are many causes in this world that are just as noble, and would be the right thing to do, but unfortunately unless there is significant financial gain to be made, it's up to the backyard tinkerers such as yourself to take that first step and start. If it's something you are so passionate about, maybe start looking into things 3D Oz talked about and how you can improve on those things first. I'm not trying to be down on your plight to fix what is a big problem, and I applaud you, but it's not a problem this very minute thousands if not millions are scientists are working on to resolve right now, among so many other world important issues.

If all countries would stop fighting for a minute and focus time effort and money into medical research, things would be very different :/

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    it's up to the backyard tinkerers such as yourself to take that first step :/
    I lack the requisite skills. I am old and retired and in poor health. I am in no condition to develop this myself. That is why I started this thread: to divorce having an idea from developing the idea. I hope that other people with other ideas that they cannot develop, will post their ideas here. I hope that people looking for ideas to develop, will read this thread.

Do you have any idea how an IUD works? What makes you think they need to be customised?
    They are a simple device requiring no customisation. One or two sizes fits all.
    They rely on either embedded hormones or the inclusion of a reactive metal, usually copper.
    They have a horrible safety record and are no more effective than pills or barriers.

IUDs are already mass produced and coming up with a pointless design to print them cannot compete on a cost per unit basis.
    Another case of "3D Printing will save the world" miss-information.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D OZ View Post
    Do you have any idea how an IUD works?
    I certainly am no expert on the subject. 3D printing allows easy experimentation on improvements to the old Lippes loop design that no longer has FDA approval. No guarantee of success, but worth trying because of big potential payoff in reducing overpopulation. Lippes design is inert, no copper or hormones, requires custom fit. 3D printing can make it very inexpensive. Eventually 3D printers will be ubiquitous. Doctor can e-mail parameters to local 3D printer, get custom device and perform implant on same day. See Wikipedia "intrauterine device" for discussion of designs and safety. Improvements could include safety, comfort, and efficacy improvements.

Mjolinor was more correct than you give credit, it is a matter of education rather than technology.
    Effective and efficient contraceptives have been available for decades and still uncontrolled population growth in countries struggling to support what they have already continues to be a problem.

You could invent a contraceptive that was free and 100% effective and still you would need to overcome religion, fear and misinformation before it could have an impact.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast