Hey auto bed leveling Guru's,

Seeing all the activity on auto bed leveling, I'm trying to get up to speed on how Auto bed leveling works. I understand the basic mechanical concept of taking the measurements with the servo/switch assembly, but I'm unsure of how the software takes this data adjusts your print.

From what I gather, the servo probe starts from a known Z height, approaches the bed, and gets a Z measurement when the switch is pressed. It takes 3 or so measurements around the outside of the bed to measure 3 Z distances and calculates the current XYZ angle tilt of the plane, stores it in memory to adjusts the print.

As a simplified example just for the X axis, say I'm printing something at 0.2mm layer height and the right side of my bed is at "0" and the left side of the bed is 0.2mm above that "0". Normally, on the first layer the Z axis is fixed and does not move and would stay at "0" across the X axis and crash into the glass somewhere on its way to the left side.

Does auto bed leveling allow the Z axis to dynamical vary during the first layer from 0 on the right to 0.2mm on the left instead of being completely fixed at 0?

If this post has a repeat somewhere else on the forums or has already been explained, I will gladly delete it! Thanks guys!