Close

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by dacb View Post
    Thanks, clough42. I'd love to get this merged back into Marlin trunk.

Here is the 'U'/'u' addition: https://github.com/beckdac/Marlin/co...85c9019b53b9e4
    Who knows how to do the 'Post Processing' so the correct Front, Back, Left, Right parameters can be filled in on the G29 line? Specifically... What I'm asking is can this be done with the Slicer Start GCode? My guess is "No!" but I don't know that.

I hope I'm wrong but most likely, we will need to write a program that parses through the GCode that gets generated and look for the coordinates that get used by the print. And from that information go update the G29 line early in the print. In the comments for the region updates to G29 bonm014 said

In my slic3r I have set this code in the custom start gcode G29 L[G29XMIN] F[G29YMIN] R[G29XMAX] B[G29YMAX] A3 With a postprocessor I change the parameters based on the extrusion points.

My suggestion is to consider these questions. And maybe we can debate whether my initial answers make sense:

• Can we as a group agree which Slicer's we want to support initially?
      • I would like to see Slicer directly supported. Probably a lot of people want Cura supported. Is there other slicing software we need to accommodate?

• Can we as a group agree which OS's we want to support initially?
      • If this can't be done within the Slicers themselves, initially we need Windows, and we would want Linux and Mac to be fast followers. Depending upon how cleanly the Post-Processing code is written, it might be trivial for an expert on each of those platforms to port the Post-Processing code to the new OS platform.

• Can we find volunteers to help complete the important sections of this matrix and test it?
      • If we restrict the development & test matrix to something reasonable, I bet we get plenty of people helping to both develop and test the missing pieces. Especially if we have a Support thread dedicated to get this idea fully mature and usable by the community.

• Can we get bonm014's post processing code to use as a starting point for the pieces we need?
      • Almost for sure he would be willing to offer up his post processing code. After all, he offered up his version of the G29 to help the community. It is possible he could help fill in some of the spots in our Development and Test matrix.
      • Can somebody reach out to him and see if we can get him to join this thread and offer his $.02 ?

Quote Originally Posted by dacb View Post
    Thanks, clough42. I'd love to get this merged back into Marlin trunk.
    I'm very excited and pleased by this effort! But I think it would be really cool to keep the above mentioned work contained in this branch of the tree until we get most of the Development & Test matrix completed. And when everything is pretty solid and working correctly for everybody, merge it back into the main tree. The reason I'm suggesting we consider this idea is because it takes so long to get things formally merged. I think it was 3 or 4 weeks when I submitted the fully polished M48 Z-Probe-Repeatability-Test code for it to be finally accepted.

If we (you) have control of this branch of the tree, we can move much faster with future enhancements, tweaks and bug fixes. And however we do the Post-Processing, that needs to be well documented for each OS & Slicer and included so people can get it setup and working in their environment.

I realize I threw a lot out on the table for discussion. And for sure there are going to be other perspectives on this stuff. If somebody has an opinion or extra points to add or clarification.... Please... Please... Throw it into the mix!!!!
    Last edited by Roxy; 09-26-2014 at 11:29 AM.