Close

Lightbulb Printing a mobile phone body

Hi, guys.
    I've got my old HTC Desire, which body's completely broken. And I've thought of printing it a new body. I mean I put out the motherboard, the display, measure everything, print a new sexy-looking body, and then put all the details inside it. But, of course, I'm anxious:
    Wouldn't the 3D-printed body be too fragile? Would the details fit well? Did everybody here do the same?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Not ever opening a HTC I can't say really, but as for something like an Iphone, which I have repaired a few thousand, no not possible. Not because of detail, size or shape, but due to the fact the body itself is an integral part of the phone, made of metal for a reason as it amplifies the aerial. If the HTC is completely plastic maybe, you would have to take a photo of inside the phone really.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Not ever opening a HTC I can't say really, but as for something like an Iphone, which I have repaired a few thousand, no not possible. Not because of detail, size or shape, but due to the fact the body itself is an integral part of the phone, made of metal for a reason as it amplifies the aerial. If the HTC is completely plastic maybe, you would have to take a photo of inside the phone really.
    Well, it have got some metal details on the inside, but I think I can detach them and put on the new body.
    Futhermore, if I don't do this, the only problem would be the mobile network and Wi-Fi malfunction, am I right?
    I'm anyway going to have a new phone, but I want to give this oldie a new life, ahah.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Not ever opening a HTC I can't say really, but as for something like an Iphone, which I have repaired a few thousand, no not possible. Not because of detail, size or shape, but due to the fact the body itself is an integral part of the phone, made of metal for a reason as it amplifies the aerial.
    No, the old Desire is plastic body. The new HTC phones (the One and the new Desire) have a sealed metal body.

Though it might have the antenna (I believe it's both mobile and wifi) embedded into the back panel of the phone. My old Incredible S did.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinum View Post
    Hi, guys.
    I've got my old HTC Desire, which body's completely broken. And I've thought of printing it a new body. I mean I put out the motherboard, the display, measure everything, print a new sexy-looking body, and then put all the details inside it. But, of course, I'm anxious:
    Wouldn't the 3D-printed body be too fragile? Would the details fit well? Did everybody here do the same?
    Wrist Watch
    I think I can detach them and put on the new body. Futhermore, if I don't do this, the only problem would be the mobile network and Wi-Fi malfunction and more.