Close

Solar Powered 3D Printer to Turn Sea Plastic into Sea Chairs

This may sounds like something from science fiction novels, but a group from the UK are raising money on kickstarter to use a solar powered 3D printer to turn plastics collected at sea into furniture. The team will travel to the North Atlantic Gyre, where tons and tons of plastic trash resides. They will then turn that plastic into filament for a solar powered 3D printer which they built themselves. More details on this very interesting, and honorable project can be found here: http://3dprint.com/16222/3d-solar-print-garbage-sea/

Here is a picture of the solar powered 3D printer that the team will be using:

Staff Engineer
    It sounds like a well-intended idea, but trying to make usable filament out of miscellaneous pieces of scrap plastic that have been floating around in the ocean for years is never going to work. Plastics are extremely variable in their composition; not all of them will melt at 3d printing temperatures (or at all). How are they going to eliminate all the particles of unusable plastic from the kinds that will work, not to mention get rid of all the barnacles and other things that are attached to it? They'd be better off grinding up the plastic they've gathered and mixing it into concrete, if they really wanted to make something out of it.

Andrew Werby
    Last edited by Geoff; 09-23-2014 at 03:45 AM. Reason: removed advertising, please use the Free self promotion section.

this is it enjoy

Hi guys I am mia I am from Australia, Victoria I have been using onesolar from some while and it has been a great experience for me to use this kind of product it is the best product for every guy and this company works in low price but extremely good quality .best-quality-component.jpg