Close

Making Your 3D Prints Gold

Erin St. Blaine of Pixie Fire Entertainment in Fremont, California tested a variety of paints and techniques for making 3D-printed ABS plastic look like gold. St. Blaine, a costume designer, is currently using 3D design and printing to create elaborate jewelry to compliment her extravagant costumes. Following a series of experiments, which she shares in her blog, she settled on one that uses Testors Copper Enamel®. For a complete review of the various materials Erin used to make her prints gold, check out the full story here: http://3dprint.com/33642/3d-print-gold/

Have you tried other methods to turn your 3D prints gold? Let's hear them in the thread below. Check out Erin's various experiments:

I printed loubie's Tudor Rose Box in black PLA. To make it look antique gold I sprayed it with hairspray then brushed/dabbed it with Langridge Artists Supplies gold pigment powder. To seal the powder I sprayed it with a clear acrylic lacquer. I think printing with black to start with made it a lot easier to achieve an aged gold effect.

IMG_0020_display_large.jpg