Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Engineer-in-Training
    Sorry, yeah, the multi resin thread, second page, first post by Spelljammer. Speaking of which, if you read this Spelljammer, could you share that cad file with us? I would love to add another support rail, reposition the peachy, add a floating multi-resin ring, and a motor to spin it, and see what it looks like when you try to jam it all in there.

Edit: Spelljammer was nice enough to send the file to me. Here it is, for anyone that may want it.

http://www.tijuanachristmas.com/3dprint/3Dprinter1.skp
    Last edited by Anuvin; 11-28-2013 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anuvin View Post
    I think Spelljammer's design is great.
    I totally agree.

I think Spelljammer's design is great.
    Totaly agree ! The beta testers will be able to test this soon !

Technologist
    Add Chayat on Shapeways
    This looks awesome but I cant help think that it's over engineering a problem that doesn't exist. How far will the peachy's laser have to travel before any errors due to focal length will be noticeable on the print? I'm guessing that for a build area of around 150mm3 there will be no notable effect.

Engineer-in-Training
    I also guess that. However, seeing as how the Kickstarter mentions that Peachy Pro models will have automatic focal adjustment, I am inclined to think that the Peachy crew believes it may be an issue. If it is a problem, I believe Spelljammer's design elegantly solves the issue. If it doesn't have a noticeable effect on reasonable scales, it will be unnecessary. I can't wait to find out.

If the problem to solve here is maintaining a constant distance of the laser from the surface of the resin I would think using styrofoam would be hard to use to do this. The styrofoam would require a minimum fluid volume/resin height before it begins to float, which means it would not be that constant distance from resin print surface without filling the print area with that minimum volume. That means an overhead on the print time. As Synchron points out, the risers and/or guides could get jammed, or at the very least contribute friction and resistance which means this has to be included in the styrofoam's volume and the minimum fluid volume/resin height as well.

What if the styrofoam was damaged? It will inevitably lose mass, again changing the minimum resin height. If the floatation method could be produced by some pressurized structure that would be very hard to damage, the minimum height problem could be solved, and all done without guides, this might work. I'm a little baffled as to how you could overcome using guides and can't quite picture a system in which the volume of resin displaced is constant from start.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12