Close

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kd7eir View Post
    You should be connecting to /dev/tty/ACM0. /dev/tty/AMA0 is the built-in serial port of the Pi.
    Thank you. I swear, up until several minutes ago... there were only two options: Auto and AMA0... now the ACM0 port is available and working.

Technologist
    I fought that demon myself for quite a while. /dev/tty/ACM0 only appears when the Pi can see the RAMPS via USB. Not sure what causes it to not detect it at times. Restarting OctoPrint seems to resolve it most times, occasionally I have had to reboot the Pi itself.

Quote Originally Posted by kd7eir View Post
    I fought that demon myself for quite a while. /dev/tty/ACM0 only appears when the Pi can see the RAMPS via USB. Not sure what causes it to not detect it at times. Restarting OctoPrint seems to resolve it most times, occasionally I have had to reboot the Pi itself.
    I used to struggle with this as well as a number of other seemingly random instabilities. I think the 5v regulator on the Arduino isn't really up to the task. With RAMPS and the LCD, it's very close to what it can handle--even on the Taurino Power. Adding a servo to the 5v rail caused me all kinds of instability. In the end, I cutt D1 off the RAMPS board and supplied 5v from the power supply to the +5v and VCC pins (no jumper) as well as to the Raspberry Pi through the GPIO pins, all with separate runs back to the power supply. This fixed pretty much all of the random symptoms I was having, including Octopi falling to start on boot and the Pi crashing or rebooting mid print.

Quote Originally Posted by clough42 View Post
    I used to struggle with this as well as a number of other seemingly random instabilities. I think the 5v regulator on the Arduino isn't really up to the task. With RAMPS and the LCD, it's very close to what it can handle--even on the Taurino Power. Adding a servo to the 5v rail caused me all kinds of instability. In the end, I cutt D1 off the RAMPS board and supplied 5v from the power supply to the +5v and VCC pins (no jumper) as well as to the Raspberry Pi through the GPIO pins, all with separate runs back to the power supply. This fixed pretty much all of the random symptoms I was having, including Octopi falling to start on boot and the Pi crashing or rebooting mid print.
    How are you stepping down the 12v from your power supply?

(I wish I could "star" various posts on this board and view them all together.)

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpangrazzi View Post
    I believe Clough42 is taking advantage of the +5V Standby output from the ATX power supply he is using.

Technologist
    I use a 4-40V buck regulator to get 5V from the 12V line of my power supply. This in turn powers the servo and the Pi.
    Last edited by kd7eir; 02-03-2015 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulpangrazzi View Post

(I wish I could "star" various posts on this board and view them all together.)
    I'm using the 5VSB output from my power supply. That way, I can also connect the power supply switch line (green wire) to the PS-ON terminal of the RAMPS board, and I can turn the power supply on and off with M80/M81. Since the Rpi and arduino are on the standby line, they're always on, waiting for me to VPN in and start a print job.

Has anybody experienced random disconnections between the Pi and their printer?

While doing some testing today, on multiple occasions, I would get an error from the printer, according to OctoPrint, and it would disconnect. Each time this happened it was in the first 20 seconds of a print.

I am thinking it might be a power related issue, any other thoughts?

Engineer
    If you power your Pi from your printer power supply, that might be the problem. I have mine plugged into a phone charger, separate from the printer supply. I have not experienced any random disconnections.

Same here i have my pi powered by a i believe 1.5amp phone charger and heavy gauge usb cable. Its enough to power the pi and c310 camera witbout hiccups.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast