Close

Technologist

AI generated 3d models - Revolutionary or Evolutionary???

Hopefully can generate fun discussion. In the last year or two, AI has delved into 3d modeling and height map generation. Though still in the nascent stage it shows promise as better AI models mature. One area I believe is making great gains is height map generators. You can't throw a rock without hitting one. Microsoft, Google, Adobe, TikTok, Stable Diffusion, Adobe,...plus many, many more. In my opinion, this technology is evolutionary and not revolutionary. Given photogrammetry and earlier machine learning tools, this is the next step in the technology. What it does is give options for folks that don't have a deep learning of CAD or 3d modeling to be able to create amazing models. As an example, the 3d print on the left was AI generated and took about 5 minutes to make while the 3d print on the right took me about an hour to digitally sculpt in Blender and Zbrush. One took no 3d modeling skills and the other took knowledge in multiple 3d modeling software to make. [Stable Diffusion generated image using COMFYUI, marigold height map generator, Blender 3d for height map to STL conversion (but most 3d printer slicers can do it)]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    I think all this AI generated stuff is rapidly leading to a place where it will be impossible to distinguish between fact and fiction.
    In your instance it is probably a good tool.

However, there are usually a few instances each week where entire posts on this forum are AI generated by a new member.
    Why join a forum and the first post made is an AI generated post on something the poster knows nothing about?

The posters are subsequently banned.
    Last edited by Bikeracer2020; 04-12-2024 at 02:23 AM.

Technologist
    There is a lot of abuse currently being done with AI in different markets. Some of the sites I frequent have lately been flooded by AI advertisements. Makes no sense to me trying to sell insurance on a woodworking or 3d modeling site. AI for 3d models is still pretty rough though and hasn't had the "opportunity" to be abused...yet. The power to make bas reliefs in the form of height maps though is here. Still takes a bit of knowledge to make a good one but I believe it will transform the cnc/3d printing landscape to a certain extent.

It's fascinating how the 3D print on the left looks even better, with more detail. It's a bit intimidating, though, to think about the future... I have a feeling that many people will have to adapt and change their skills to fit into a world where AI will handle a large portion of the work. However, I disagree with the comments above. After all, AI is just a tool. It's a tool that will likely take over some of people's tasks, but you know, a knife is also a tool, and how it's used depends on the user.

Technologist
    Great points. AI image programs are tools that are transformative and will change the landscape of several art fields.

I think my cnc pattern store, though not completely dead, will be greatly diminished. Where it would take me hours to days to create a cnc pattern, someone skilled with AI art tools will be able to create something similar or better in under 30 minutes.

In the future, just my opinion, 3d artists will have to learn at least basic AI skills to augment their 3d modeling skills to stay relevant. AI is just too powerful to compete against on your own unless you are really in a niche market.