Close

Need help printing a simple empty-box-like object

Hi folks!

First time posting here, so please excuse any mistakes.

I'm trying to print a "question-mark cube" from Super Mario Bros. I've already printed several, no problem.

This time, I want it to be hollow on the inside with a separate lid, like a small box.I've modeled it in Blender and it looks perfect there (image attached). But when I slice it in Cura, it becomes "closed", with a lid on top (image attached). I can't get rid of that, for the life of me. Already tried setting infill to zero, but nothing changes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff Engineer
    Consider to attach the .OBJ or .STL file for better examination. Blender has problems sometimes with creating models that can be 3D printed. Also you may want to investigate the 3D toolkit feature in the more recent versions of Blender. I'm not a Blender user for many years, but the toolkit is probably one of the better new features to the program.

Thanks for the reply, mate!

Find attached the .stl file.
    I'll also take a look at this 3D toolkit feature you mentioned - Seems like a good idea.

Thanks and please let me know if you have any clues from the .stl.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Staff Engineer
    The STL file was very helpful. When I imported it with Meshmixer, the entire cube was presented as individual components. For example, the square dot at the bottom of the question marks were not "glued" to the box face. This applied to all of the components. The repair facility in Meshmixer deleted most of them, destroying the model in the process. Microsoft 3DBuilder imported the model as expected and informed me of the errors, then fixed them correctly. I'm not sure why Blender breaks models in this manner but it's not the first time I've run into it. If you have Windows 10 or above, you may be able to import and repair your creations in the future. If not, I'm happy to assist.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Holy cow! You're a lifesaver!

Thanks so much for looking into this. Yes, I do have Windows 11 and downloaded Microsoft 3DBuilder. I used it to fix my own model (with the lid) and it fixed the STL perfectly to be able to slice & print.

Here's the final outcome:

Cube.jpg

Again, I have no idea why Blender is breaking these models when exporting the STL, but I'll look into the 3D toolkit feature you mentioned.

Thanks, once again!

Cheers,

Staff Engineer
    I'm happy to be helpful. I appreciate seeing the results too.