Close

Threaded View

Makerfarm i3 8" Prusa Printer Tweaks

I'm new to 3d printing and new to this forum. I purchased and built the Makerfarm kit in 2 days last weekend. Well, it took me a day to build it and another day to get my glass, soldiering iron, etc, and calibrate it.

So far I've found that the downloadable configuration for Slic3r mostly works well. However, I've made a few tweaks to that configuration as well as my firmware and wanted to share those and get other tweaks from more experienced users.

Firmware:

I modified my hotend max temp from 235 to 270. I want to use nylon sometime in the future which requires a hotter temperature. In addition I was getting a max-temp error now and again. This new setting fixed that.

Slic3r:

• I changed my initial hotend temp to 230 for first layers and 228 for additional layers. This seems to avoid layer separation. This setting is under Filament Settings
    • I changed my first layer bed temp to 108 instead of 110 as my bed will not reach 110. Other layers can cool down to 100. This setting is under Filament Settings
    • Under Printer Settings I made sure my nozzle diameter is 0.4 mm.
    • Under Print Settings, I adjusted my first layer height to 0.4 instead of 0.35 to get a thicker first layer.

Overall these settings seem to work best for me so far. I'd love to know about other settings that provide a better print.

Cheers,

--Midwire
    Last edited by midwire; 11-20-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: fixed an incorrect measurement