Close

Thread: 3D Scan to CAD

3D Scan to CAD

Hi,

i would like to import a self scanned object (Einscan-S) in a software, which converts it in an CAD file.
    In this workflow, i would like to smooth rough surfaces and make straight lines for later 3d prints.

For example i scanned a model of a train, which has very detailed structure. The scan is partly too "blurry" and not possible to print at the moment.
    So the software has to make clean edges, geometry objects out of it.

Hope it is clear, what i want to do?

Please let me know "payable" software that can do that.

Thank you very much!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hands down the best software for this is Geomagic Design. Not Cubify, which is a low-end version. I use Catia and Creo along with Geomagic Design everyday professionally and GD is far superior in this area.

That said, converting meshes to vectors and surfaces is tricky at best. GD gives you an option to select whether you are importing an organic or regular-shaped mesh as different processes are used for the two. A train model has mainly regular shapes i.e. cylinders, spheres, cubes, etc. Depending on the complexity of the part the mesh may or may not be converted to standard CAD formats.

The Cubify Sense scanner is made to work within the Geomagic Design (see attached). This, along with the built-in 3D printer functionality and the fact that it is up there with all the other MCAD software makes GD are top design package.

Capture.JPG

Hi Sebastian,

thanks for your reply. Are you german?

at the moment, i use a trial version of Geomagic Design. The functionality is so big and i have to spend a lot of time to understand a minimum.
    May i ask you, if you use a Cubify Sense? I did used one some time ago and was not very satisfied with the qualitiy. As already written, now i use an Einscan-S and i'm very happy with it. In combination with my ultimaker 2 with olson block it's a fun to work with.

Did you know, how i can get working my einscan with GD? Shining3D ist listed as supported, but GD did not recognize my Scanner!?

Thank you very much ones more for your support!

Jochen

Yes I am German. Aus Paderborn.

I don't have a Sense yet. Its on my list. Geomagic does not have integrated functionality for the Einscan.