Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Miraisens' New “Touchable” 3D Technology

A company called Miraisens has invented a new touchable 3D technology that allows for extreme haptic feedback. This could have many uses for 3D printing as well as 3D modelling. What do you guys think this could be used for the most in 3D printing? Read more at: http://3dprint.com/13596/touchable-3d-technology/

Staff Engineer
    I keep hearing all kinds of magical things about haptic feedback through the thing you're holding vibrating as you do something, but I've used an awful lot of things with haptic feedback and none of it fooled my mind into thinking I was pressing a button or touching a rough surface or anything other than holding a vibrating gadget.

Is it just me? Have any of you used haptic feedback gadgets that actually felt like what they say they should?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Don't see any current application for 3d printing.
    OR am i missing something ?

I tried 3 months ago a 3d display with feedback on a stick by Dassault Systems. The prototype allowed you to move components in a gear box (with feedback), zoom, rotate. I can tell you ... WOW.

Little to do with 3D printing per se, but wonderful gadget to interact with a complex assembly.

Staff Engineer
    I'm not sure about this system by Miraisens, but I've been using a haptic modeling tool for some time now, and I really like it. It doesn't vibrate at all, but it does allow me to feel the part as I'm working on it, which really helps with subtle organic sculpting tasks. Holding the stylus, one watches the tool on the screen, and as it goes into a hollow or over a bump in the part, the sensation is exactly the same as if one were holding a stick and running it over the surface of the object. The tool, now called the Touch or TouchX, was developed by Sensable Technologies, and now it's part of the 3DS Geomagic family of products. If you haven't tried it, you shouldn't dismiss all haptics as a gimmick; it's a real productivity booster as well as a lot of fun to use.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Staff Engineer
    Maybe I should have bean clearer, mobile devices with "haptic feedback" have never worked for me. I was impressed way back in the day when I got to use a Novient Falcon at a tech show, I assume the Sensable Touch tools are similar to that, as a well-anchored desktop device. (Also, I envy you a bit being able to afford one if so) I hear that 3D Systems also has one, though I've never seen it in person.

Those seem to be different, and much more well-grounded than the thing in the article.