Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Spexy Me 3D Printed Glasses

We've seen 3D printed frames for your glasses before, but this new company, Spexy Me is customizing your glasses via your webcam on your computer. It lets you try them on via webcam prior to buying. No prices have been announced as of yet, but they seem quite unique, and the concept is very interesting. Read more about Spexy Me at http://3dprint.com/13525/spexy-me-3d-printed-glasses/

There's so much more to properly fitting frames than just the look from the front of your face. I'm an optician in las Vegas getting ready to open a new eyeglass shop where I'm going to offer custom 3D frames that take into account so many other things than just the look on the front of your face. Width of your nose, how high or low your nose makes frames sit, depth and width, how the temples come off the frame front and bow around your head, distance to the top of your ear and the different shape of the back of your ear... Just a couple things.

To claim that you couldn't find glasses for a year is either because you weren't looking out because you weren't looking in the right place. Online is not the right place. With an experienced optician that knows how to problem solve is. At corporate shops like Lens Crafters most "opticians" are either glorified sales people that can wring money out of customers but don't know anything (except the bare minimum) about optics, or at private doctors offices they're some friend of the doctor they could hire for cheap because most private practices are being squeezed so tight due to taking insurance.

/rant

Anyway, when I get my shop running this December I'll give you an actual story about someone doing 3D glasses in a way that will actually work. All the way from using calipers to measure their head to the designing and printing to the final fitting and dispensing.