hello,

just checking things out here.....as I get into the new world of 3D printing.

I first started using shapeways to get my feet wet with an idea of what to expect...I've already learned how to change my models for printing success.....but painting them when they arrive has proved to be a tougher learning curve. they look terrible.

Then I decided to order my first printer. I decided on a makerbot...... I decided on the 12 inch model, because if I decided to go big later, I'd have the option.......and as for printer brand, the price point and reviews are basically what cinched the buy.

We got the printer in january. Had a few problems along the way.....had to wait a bit to get some new Z rods sent out (nut wouldn't fit over it no matter what).... had to get the board sent back and repaired because Z motors where not working (worked perfectly on return ship)...... and I cannot stress enough that this is the BEST customer service I've ever seen offered. the guy answered every question I asked, no matter how redundant or stupid...just to make sure I had everything setup right.

On Thursday we tried the G Code test. worked perfectly. later, we tried a rough heat test. sadly, I skipped a step and we had a slight smoke problem with the wrong used wires.

but eventually I got it running again same day with the proper sized wire attached. Hoping on tuesday to run the print for real.