Close

Intro Post - completely green

Hello,
    My name is Steve, I live in Akron Ohio and looking to build my first open-source 3D printer. I am a current student looking to get finished with my bachelors in Electronic Engineering Technology. I have done intro AutoCAD classes through school and would like to continue into SolidWorks and more.
    Anyways im here to learn more about what hardware and software to make a 3D printer. Im looking just to make small things to make my life simpler and prototype parts for cars (in-which is a huge hobby in my life). I would also like to give back to anyone in my community once I have made one by helping people with prints for their creations etc.
    Well im going to explore the forum any tips or tricks you would like to give me for a head start, much appreciated.
    Thank You

Engineer
    Hey Steve, welcome to the forum. You will find this is a great little community, growing every day. You will also find that once you have a 3D printer you will become addicted Happened to me last year lol. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I have learned a ton over the last year or so thanks to this forum and would be happy to share anything.

Thank you Larry for the welcome.

I guess I first need to look into the materials of what im building. I was thinking of using a glass or maybe even a mirror for the printing surface (not sure how well mirror would take heat but would be good to see the head better if problems arise). I hear a lot of chatter about 3d printers catching fire, I would assume its do to faulty wiring or heating of the head? So would utilizing a copper plate and using a liquid cooled cpu system keep the head at a maintained temperature (could add a temperature sensor and target or fail-safe temps in the programming). I have access to a Makerbot Replicator 2x at my school and they are not currently charging students to use it. So I would like to make a layout soon and build list and take advantage of this service.

When i get time im going to explore this forum and some stickies but i currently type this from school and im on the move LOL!

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshDA9 View Post
    Thank you Larry for the welcome.

I guess I first need to look into the materials of what im building. I was thinking of using a glass or maybe even a mirror for the printing surface (not sure how well mirror would take heat but would be good to see the head better if problems arise). I hear a lot of chatter about 3d printers catching fire, I would assume its do to faulty wiring or heating of the head? So would utilizing a copper plate and using a liquid cooled cpu system keep the head at a maintained temperature (could add a temperature sensor and target or fail-safe temps in the programming). I have access to a Makerbot Replicator 2x at my school and they are not currently charging students to use it. So I would like to make a layout soon and build list and take advantage of this service.

When i get time im going to explore this forum and some stickies but i currently type this from school and im on the move LOL!
    Hi Fresh, Welcome,

Mirror = bad idea, you will find it as you said cracking from heat.
    Glass, must be Pyrex / Boroscilliate to withstand that heat.

3D printers do not generally catch fire, or not that I am aware of from here and many other printing forums, it often happens from incorrect assembly, lack of insulation etc or general electronic fault but I am yet to see that actually set fire to the machine. The only time I've seen it is when someone forced it, and did not use a cooling fan. Fans essential. If a hot end runs without cooling, yes it will cook itself and most likely the wiring attached. Most firmware is designed to shut it all down when you get to a critical temperature also (by default around 275c)

People are leaving these things printing for 10.. 20..30 hours at a time and they are not catching fire so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

CPU liquid cooling and copper piping would be the same as it is in a PC, purely for show. You can achieve relevant cooling with a heatsink and a fan.

Use the one you have free access to. Pull it apart, break it, fix it... its a tax write off anyway for a school, if you can't fix it just blame the janitor and they'll buy a new one
    Last edited by Geoff; 08-14-2014 at 03:42 AM.

Thanks for the info Geoff. What machine are you using, or did you make your own?

I understand PC maybe only for show but in the car industry an air cooled motor hasnt been made in a production vehicle in years. So being said water cooling should be better heat transferring then a typical heat sink. But I would like to know more about cooling and having a safe machine to print for a 30hr period without worry.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshDA9 View Post
    Thanks for the info Geoff. What machine are you using, or did you make your own?

I understand PC maybe only for show but in the car industry an air cooled motor hasnt been made in a production vehicle in years. So being said water cooling should be better heat transferring then a typical heat sink. But I would like to know more about cooling and having a safe machine to print for a 30hr period without worry.
    I think the tough part will simply be mounting it all, I haven't seen a CPU liquid cooler with a small enough head for the CPU that I could see fitting, but hey there is probably one out there. ideally one that is not much wider than a CPU itself.

I think it would work ok, but the only thing I would be re-inforcing is all the flexing, as your head is going to move alot along with the cooling tubes and headstock, whereas in a PC they are fairly tame and never move around.