Close

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    When I printed some very large shields for a project I had the misfortune of the support material becoming embedded within the part itself. Nowhere did I get an error while slicing or when I went back and checked the model. Every other print has worked for me so this one is a mystery.

The single most difficult/ annoying thing that I've dealt with is preventing warping on large ABS prints. I don't have an issue at all with small ABS prints, but when I have a large part with a large bottom surface, the corners are guaranteed to lift. Even if the skirt is still stuck to the bed, the actual corner will lift a bit. I've attempted to enclose the build volume to trap the hot air. Its helped but its not 100% solved. I could probably do a better job at sealing it anyway. So! the grind continues...

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post

This is a question posed by 3DSupplyWorld.com.
    Earn 1 additional entry for replying to this thread and answering the following question:

What was/is the most difficult thing for you to learn/understand about 3D Printing?
    To me, the most difficult thing to learn or understand would be the actual designing phase. Sure printing it is cool, but the effort for me at least is incredible.

CAD software. I've used SketchUp for years, but it's not 3DP friendly. TinkerCad and Project Shapeshifter from AutoDesk are nice, but limited. I've tried Blender and it's mind boggling.

The fact that despite thinking that I have a grasp on how part of the printer works, it is soon to be realized that there is still so much deeper to delve. For example... hotends, and how the materials and design of a hotend can affect what materials you might be able to use.

Unclogging the nozzle can be tough

I'd say proper filament flow was difficult as at times my prints would fail, until I loosened all the bolts and screws by the extruder to release tension for a smoother filament flow

Learning cad.

Student
    Add Solstie on Google+ Add Solstie on Thingiverse
    What was/is the most difficult thing for you to learn/understand about 3D Printing?

As I start experimenting with new materials and even new brands of filament getting consistent results is a lot of trial and error. A generally handbook or guide as more and more materials for 3D printers are added would be really useful.

Making the 3d models would have to be the hardest thing to deal with, if not the most time consuming.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast