Close

My Flashforge printer is getting louder

I've had my printer for a few months now and it seems as though it is getting louder and louder each week. It is mostly from vibrations. My prints come out perfectly fine and I love the printer. I'm just wondering if this is normal, or is there something perhaps wrong with my machine? Has anyone had this problem? Is there anything I can do to help. Seems like it's coming from the motors but I can't be 100% sure.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by FFowner View Post
    I've had my printer for a few months now and it seems as though it is getting louder and louder each week. It is mostly from vibrations. My prints come out perfectly fine and I love the printer. I'm just wondering if this is normal, or is there something perhaps wrong with my machine? Has anyone had this problem? Is there anything I can do to help. Seems like it's coming from the motors but I can't be 100% sure.
    Being a lasercut plywood box with 5 billion screws, they tend to get loose from vibrations, once a month go round the machine and underneath) and tighten them up. It's not so much the bolts that cause the noise, loose panels vibrate.

I also put a block of foam under the fan underneath, otherwise it's so loud the neighbourhood can hear it just idling.
    Last edited by Geoff; 04-11-2014 at 11:29 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    try a little lithium grease on the bars. Could just be friction causing the vibration.

I just spray some on asheet of kitchen paper and wipe all the bars - so far about once a week (well only had it 2 weeks)
    I did notice after about a week that I was getting slightly more noise, wiped the bars again and it went away.
    Friction is not your friend :-)

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    just went round tightening up bolts. Can't hurt right :-)

Student
    Check alignment of belts and pulleys. From my experience, they tend to get misaligned with use, if you see torn rubber from belt on the pulleys, there's a chance that they are the source of the noise.

The whole case works like a violin or a guitar because of plywood, it resonates so much I found it impossible to determine the source of all the noises with my ears only :/ Tuning the pulleys did help though.