Close

3DShap.es Launches 3D Model Search Engine

Just like Google dominates contextual search, one small company wishes to become the de facto search engine for 3D printable models. That's not all. They allow you to search by uploading similar models of what you may be looking for or by using other models already within their database. The site called, 3DShap.es launched only recently and is still in beta, but so far their search is pretty interesting. More details on this 3D model search engine can be found here: http://3dprint.com/10236/3dshapes-3d-model-search

Below is a screenshot of their main search page:

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Krassenstein View Post
    Just like Google dominates contextual search, one small company wishes to become the de facto search engine for 3D printable models. That's not all. They allow you to search by uploading similar models of what you may be looking for or by using other models already within their database. The site called, 3DShap.es launched only recently and is still in beta, but so far their search is pretty interesting. More details on this 3D model search engine can be found here: http://3dprint.com/10236/3dshapes-3d-model-search

Below is a screenshot of their main search page:
    lol.. I will upload some of my 200mb and 500mb meshes and confuse the crap out of it. It might be able to recognise simple objects like a car, an apple a soda can, but I doubt we'll see any fireworks from it.

Being in beta I understand its lack of models and details but I think the website itself is quite hard to look at. Thingiverse has a nice clean interface and everything is very presentable. The orange models are simply difficult to look at and don't convey the model well due to the poor color choice. The website is also equally difficult to look at because the blue-orange scheme is unbalanced and the orange dominates everything. The image quality of the models is also blurry in some instances, which may be due to the file but makes the site look very sketchy.

Overall the concept of searching in this way is great but the execution needs a complete overhaul.