Close

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    I think it would still be helpful to get it installed and working on a different machine. Then you will know all the software pieces required and where everything is expected to go. Then when you repeat that on the sick machine, you might get some indication of what is going wrong.

But to each his own....

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by RobH2 View Post
    Good news is that I have Cura running and can print with it. The latest version is not causing me issues like the release before it. It's nice to have the Pronterface control interface but it's missing some of the best features of Pronterface like "motors off" and "custom buttons."
    Just for the case you would like to have enhanced funktionalities in CURA: http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.p...terface/page-2
    This is almost all you have in Pronterface and you can tweak it yourselves.
    Last edited by Roxy; 06-21-2014 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Fixed botched Quote

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by ciutateivissa View Post
    Just for the case you would like to have enhanced funktionalities in CURA: http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.p...terface/page-2
    This is almost all you have in Pronterface and you can tweak it yourselves.
    Nice 'ciutateivissa' , very nice. That's what I needed. I do like Cura, don't get me wrong. It was just previously devoid of all of the creature features I liked in Pronterface. I did search for plugins and mods/upgrades for Cura and could not locate any. This is what I could not find on my own. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I think it would still be helpful to get it installed and working on a different machine.
    SOLVED: Good news. I've solved it. It was staring me in the face the whole time and I got so distracted by looking under the hood and tearing the motor apart that I just kept missing it. Within Pronterface under 'Settings/Options/External commands' I kept seeing the 'Slice Command' and 'Slicer options command' as just executable parameters and not a path. I misread this because the line read "Slic3r_1.0.1/slic3r.exe $s --output $o". I did not have any folder on my machine named "Slic3r_1.0.1" so I just assumed it was a parameter for the 'printrunconf.ini' and not a path. The forward slash should have given it away but not being well versed in python, I thought that it might just be 'python' syntax. So, I ignored it.

Then in desperation, I just started tweaking everything I could. I changed the line to read "Slic3r/slic3r.exe $s --output $o" instead of "Slic3r_1.0.1/slic3r.exe $s --output $o". Because, I do have a folder named "Slic3r". That didn't work so I opened the 'External commands' again and saw that the change did not hold and had reverted back. So I changed my 'Slic3r folder (in my installation directory) to be 'Slic3r_1.0.1'. I was hoping that no other component needed to see it named 'Slic3r' but what the heck. Well, it worked and it worked perfectly.

Now I had to figure out why it was not holding my changes. So, I found 'printrunconf.ini' under C:/Users/Rob. I changed that to 'printrunconf.ini.old' and relaunched Pronterface. It created a new .ini and when I went to 'External commands' the correct folder name was there, "Slic3r". Now I went back to my install directory and changed the folder 'Slic3r_1.0.1' back to 'Slic3r' , closed Pronterface and relaunched. It held. Now all I had to do was to configure my custom buttons again. I've included screen shots of them and the 'External commands' page for reference.

I searched for hours on the web to find a solution for this. I guess it's so obvious that on one felt like writing about it. Should anyone else have a myopic attack and miss the obvious like I did, I hope this post helps you. It took 1.5 days out of my life. Now I'm going sailing....no more 3d printing for me this weekend.

pronterfacesettings.jpg
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

I'm glad you got it figured out. But if Slicer was in the wrong location, why did it slice and how did Slicer decide to use 44 meters of filament to make that piece?

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    I don't know what was causing the calculation error. It appeared to be a factor of 100. It only affected that, it didn't seem to cause any actual print errors.

It's not that Slic3r was in the wrong location, it was that Pronterface was adding characters to the default Slic3r folder name and path. Once I was able to change the Pronterface .ini so it pointed to the proper Slic3r folder name (can be anything you want apparently, as long as they match) everything was instantly ok.
    Bambu P1S/AMS

Which leaves just one question: How did it get screwed up?

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    I'm not sure but I have a guess. It's the only thing I can think of right now. I deleted the original problematic files so I can't verify this but I have an idea.

Pronterface reported a few times that it could not write to the .ini file. I was printing and all was well so I ignored it. The next day, I had the issue. I think maybe the .ini became corrupt and it pulled it's backup .ini that is there also. Maybe the backup .ini had or picked up the wrong folder name for Slic3r and so began the odyssey. My machine has been healthy and well maintained so I don't think it's a sign of impending disaster on this machine. At least I know how to fix it now should it occur again. It's crazy how far out of the way I went to fix it before realizing what the issue was. But, it's all a learning process and it's all good.

But, before I go let me circle back to post #1 in this thread, how's the Autoleveling going OME? Is it working well for you?
    Bambu P1S/AMS

I'm flat out like a lizard drinking at the moment. This week my car and my motorcycle come up for re-registration, so I have to get them inspected for roadworthiness, then go to the DMV to pay $1300 for registration fees and compulsory Third Party Injury insurance. Then the landlord ended the lease on our house, so we are looking for a new place and also packing our goods and chattels in preparation for the move. Most of my workshop equipment is now in cartons.

Our daughter-in-law, who lives with us, went interstate for a family Christening, so we are 24/7 babysitters for a 19 month-old.

Then my son, his pal and I bought an old Land Rover 4 x 4 to restore, so Sunday was spent seeing if we could get it started and driving. We are going to strip it to the chassis and restore it from there.

I had the chance today to check the endstop switch wiring and diagram the correct set up. After dinner tonight I hope to go out to the workshop to finalise the wiring.

Then I've got to have a few stiff drinks to get the Dutch courage to attack the Marlin update.

I also want to design a special funnel to use to fill the gear box of my bike with oil so I can print it when I get time.

And if I get a chance, I might have a bath!!

OME

Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    Then I've got to have a few stiff drinks to get the Dutch courage to attack the Marlin update.
    My advice is you do it stone cold sober....

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Bath? You don't have time for a bath, you have too much work to do....lol... !!!

Man, you are one busy guy these days. No problem. Check in when the dust settles...literally....
    Bambu P1S/AMS

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast