Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Most practical uses of 3D Printing

Every day I hear from my friends, telling me that I never creating anything practical on my 3D printer. When I got to thinking about it, they are right. I just made cool little Doo Dads, and never anything useful. My friends use this as a reason why they don't own 3d printers, but I told them that there are so many practical uses out there, and more will come in the future. Unfortunately I couldn't think of any of these uses (at least not many) off the top of my head, when they challenged me on it. So, what practical items have you used your 3d printer to create?

Staff Engineer
    It really boils down to what you call 'practical'. One might say that phone cases, phone stands, laptop coolers, organizing boxes, tool holders, bike handles, etcetera, are all practical, but then they would just buy those mass-produced ones unless they were to customize them asthetically, in which case it could be argued that the printer only adds asthetics and not practicality.

Technician
    What, they are not impressed by your customized keychains?

3D printers are great if you have a need for it, otherwise, its just another toy for the inner child in you.

Anything of real value, emotionally at least, takes time to do. If it's practical then it's already mass produced.

What kind of custom 'things' have you made, I would be interested in seeing them.

What practical to somebody isn't to another sometimes.

Just keep doing what makes you happy.

Staff Engineer
    Of course, I missed the most practical use of 3D printing, and the one that prompted NASA to send one to space: Replacement parts for things that break.

How much do you pay for the replacement hose clamp in a dishwasher, waiting days for it to ship? The kind of thing takes minutes to model, maybe an hour to print, and under a dollar worth of materials. Also switches, cable/hose holders, and panel holders in your car are all perfectly acceptable replacement parts to print, which in many cases cost upwards of $20 for a tiny part and sometimes aren't available at all.

Engineer-in-Training
    Also you can make parts for low-volume and small-size products. Especially if you just 3D the complex and changing sections, and then use standard materials to fill in the large sections that remain.

We all start making "do-dads" but it invariably progresses to producing things that help you through life.
    This is the big point, if you are young and still in school, then there aren't many things you need to make, for your life to be any easier than it already is.
    But if you are a little older (like I am) and are responsible for the up-keep of your home and lifestyle, opportunities for the 3D printer present themselves often.

My wife bought a dress over the net and it arrived missing buckles for the thin shoulder straps, I drew some up in 3D Max in about 10 minutes and printed a few off in a further 10 minutes. Fixing the Wife's disappointment with a faulty dress in 20 minutes....GOLD!
    I busted an oddly shaped plastic washer on a tap, had a replacement printed faster than going down to the nearest hardware store.
    I have replaced a broken knob on my dishwasher, made a spare screw top bottle and lid for my Wife's spray-tan machine. and many other minor items.

Most importantly, to me at least, have been the improvements I have made to the printer, a nozzle fan and duct, a filament spool holder, a filament guide and best of all an improved extruder, in fact quite a few improved extruders.

Have I printed enough to justify the cost of a printer? Well, clearly no, not in any direct sense. Have I learnt things? Do I now look at the world a little differently? Have I had fun and been entertained for dozens of hours messing with my printer? Hell YES.

If you haven't made anything practical yet, you're not thinking "printer" enough.
    Last edited by 3D OZ; 06-30-2014 at 02:01 AM.

Senior Engineer
    This is my reason for getting a 3D printer in the first place. No way to buy one anywhere and to have one injection moulded before I knew it was right would end up costing 10 times what a printer costs.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dknpowe...tasys/box3.png
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dknpowe...tasys/box1.jpg

Student
    some plastic spare parts,it is helpful for this kind.

Technician
    The most practical use now is to make more parts for the printer itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast