Close

Technician
    Add kennycoulter on Facebook Add kennycoulter on Google+

Making your own heated print platform?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261308540474...84.m1439.l2649

I have a makerbot Replicator II and would like to incorporate a heated bed. Can this platform work with my machine, and what other components do I need to make this work?

I tried searching, but these terms are already in practically every thread...

Technician

I haven't been able to find anything yet. anyone have any experience with it at all?

I imagine you should be able to find something, since MakerBot is based on an open source printer. I'm just not sure what or where though, unfortunately.

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Well, I know this is extremely unhelpful...

You could buy a Rep 2X and rip the plate out, then put it in the Rep 2...

In all seriousness, I would like to know if this is possible as well. I know that you can retrofit the 2X to print PLA with just the installation of a few extra fans, but I have never heard of someone putting a heated plate in the 2.

Technician
    Replicator 2X info: AC Input
    100–240 V, ~4 amps, 50–60 Hz Power Requirements
    24 V DC @ 9.2 amps

Replicator 2 info:
    AC Input
    100–240 V, ~2 amps, 50–60 HzPower Requirements
    24 V DC @ 6.25 amps

I am trying to find a place that carries power supply boxes that are similar, to run the heated platform. I went to radioshack, called best buy, and looked on ebay, amazon, newegg and tiger direct. I am only seeing computer tower style power supplies. the electrical input is the same, but I can't seem to find if the output cable would be the same style (looks like an older keyboard/mouse cord).

They don't have them shown as a product on the Makerbot site.....I figure that if they have them, they might cost $250 or more.

Does anyone else have a new place to look, or more insight?

Technician
    http://www.bctechnologicalsolutions.com/

http://shop.raffle.ch/

I bought from these two sites, by recommendation of Colter from Additive Solutions. He is a nice and very helpful guy!

I plan on selling my ebay heated plate. A lot of money, but I hope they work well.

power supply like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FSP-Group-In...3D350801560119 but this is closer to the original Replicator 2 power supply.

The bctech... HBP is also called the Bottleworks plate, I believe because the guy who developed it uses that name on the Makerbot google group. There may be more reviews of it there.

Technician
    It seems that the Makerbot 2X input is a 4 prong female, and the Makerbot 2 is a four prong male.
    I had trouble finding a power supply, but was finally able to purchase one from Makerbot. I had a link for a cheaper, more powerful power supply with the correct output cord, but I can't seem to find the link now.