Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

3D Printing of Chinese Artifacts, cause controversies

An artist has scanned and 3D printed ancient Chinese artifacts, and it has been causing a bit of a controversy. The scans have been made in Norway after the country recently agreed to return the artifacts to China (the country of origin). Now that they have virtually been copied, it has some people getting mad. Read more about this at http://3dprint.com/6048/3d-printing-chinese-artifacts

What do you think? Is this artist right or wrong in what he did?

Engineer-in-Training
    I think most of it is being sensitive to the fact that the original items were stolen. If they stayed in Chinese hands, I don't think they would complain about having made scans.

Many museums have started 3D scanning their artifacts, at least one has been posting the scans online.

The "damage" of copying isn't just done to Chinese cultural artifacts. Many things of age has been reproduced artistically, from Italy, Egypt, Greece, etc. One can buy nanoblocks of the Taj Mahal. I think there's a point where objects & structures become part of our global heritage that reproductions should be disseminated, otherwise they will eventually be forgotten.

I think it's a bit rich that Chinese think they've lost something through a scan or reproduction. That's seems to be the country's MO if you go by how much they copy Western products.

Heck, there are a few people in China that make a living making reproductions of Terracotta warriors. I don't think the nationality really should make a difference.

Even under our excessive copyright regime, there is nominally a sunset on copyright protections for designs, then they're supposed to be open for everyone. I get annoyed when they're extended by 20 years every 20 years. Mickey Mouse might never fall into the public domain.
    Last edited by JRDM; 06-14-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Thumbs up

The irony of Chinese people complaining about copying is thick. They have copied so much from the entire world and now they have the unmitigated gall to complain when the shoe is on the other foot. Unfortunately this sort of solipsism is depressingly common in China.

When Chinese copy, other countries' companies lay off workers or go bankrupt. This copy deprives nobody of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by JRDM View Post
    I think it's a bit rich that Chinese think they've lost something through a scan or reproduction. That's seems to be the country's MO if you go by how much they copy Western products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltowait View Post
    The irony of Chinese people complaining about copying is thick. They have copied so much from the entire world and now they have the unmitigated gall to complain when the shoe is on the other foot. Unfortunately this sort of solipsism is depressingly common in China.

When Chinese copy, other countries' companies lay off workers or go bankrupt. This copy deprives nobody of anything.
    I don't need to say anything... It's kind of like Mexico having ridiculously strict immigration control.