Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm new to this stuff, but good with tehcnology in general and happy to help with (and be a part of) such a group

Quote Originally Posted by Morten View Post
    I'm new to this stuff, but good with tehcnology in general and happy to help with (and be a part of) such a group
    Great well we can always just post to the peachy printer forum and make a disclaimer *resin research project* just so people who don't care about it won't get turned off by chemistry jargon! I'll check but I think there are scattered posts on online forums for resin formulation for 3d printing all over the internet, just not in one place. I'll add to a google drive folder all the publications I find that are useful so that anyone can access it, I'm lucky I get access to tons of journals through the university by just going to their library!

Like I said there is so much already known and freely useable (openly published and expired patents) that we have alot of amazing resins to choose from and use! I'm partial to epoxies because that's one great way to make use of natural resins. There is acrylates too which is used a ton and work amazing! Also styrenes etc. can be used but I'm not sure as of yet how great the strength is compared to epoxies and acrylates. I was looking into Tung oil as well, but it has toxicity untill it fully cures so for children it's probably not really that useful.
    Last edited by amirjabri; 06-14-2014 at 06:26 AM.

Great! The RRP is born

Coming from a techie-background I'm quite blank on the chemistry of resins, altho I'm reading up on it in an attempt to assuage the pain of waiting for my own Peachy. I believe a locally-sourced, cheap biodegradable resin recipe with good instructions (and a video walk-through) would be a major boon to the project. Hemp is an especially interesting material, but not easily sourced in many countries like here in Norway, where cannabis is illegal and this affects hemp as well. Yes, our politicians are idiots.

Hook me up to the Google Drive folder @ morteng@gmail.com

Great! The RRP is born

Coming from a techie-background I'm quite blank on the chemistry of resins, altho I'm reading up on it in an attempt to assuage the pain of waiting for my own Peachy. I believe a locally-sourced, cheap biodegradable resin recipe with good instructions (and a video walk-through) would be a major boon to the project. Hemp is an especially interesting material, but not easily sourced in many countries like here in Norway, where cannabis is illegal and this affects hemp as well. Yes, our politicians are idiots.

Hook me up to the Google Drive folder @ morteng@gmail.com
    Hemp is the greatest substance ever discovered, but the oil barons were so fearful of it's potential to revolutionize the world that they enslaved us to their oil empire by making all hemp variations illegal by demonizing the users of the drug strain cannabis (which by the way is a wonderful pain-killer and medically proven to have the least amount of side effects for people who have chronic pain). Normal industrial hemp won't get you high even if you smoked a ton! I think projects like Peachy printer can gather amazing people to develop revolutionary technologies! I never considered working with plant-based resins for 3d printing till Peachy was developed!
    Last edited by amirjabri; 06-14-2014 at 08:05 AM.

Well, not *only* the oil barons, other monied interests were involved as well. But, aside from that, yes, spot on.

Well, not *only* the oil barons, other monied interests were involved as well. But, aside from that, yes, spot on.
    Speaking of oil barons, there are cheap resins you can make starting with styrene or methyacrylates which are really really stinky! (not advised without proper ventilation!) Then any photoradical catalyst will do (probably even benzophenone which is dirt cheap). You could play around for very little money using alot of the additives you mentioned at the beginning of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by amirjabri View Post
    Speaking of oil barons, there are cheap resins you can make starting with styrene or methyacrylates which are really really stinky! (not advised without proper ventilation!) Then any photoradical catalyst will do (probably even benzophenone which is dirt cheap). You could play around for very little money using alot of the additives you mentioned at the beginning of the thread.
    I think I'll stick to green resins for my part, for many reasons including ventilation. But what is actually needed to make a reasonable quality resin? Usable for testing, perhaps. And how to do it? Can it be made food safe?

I have a working resin using virgin flax oil and a non toxic catalyst. However I'm trying to make a faster curing catalyst by tweaking some of the properties. I'll be testing new versions this week. Another older thread I made on resins and lasers here has one of the catalysts I'm making now.

I'm guessing this thread: http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ers-and-resins wich has lots of interesting info, and some links that I can' access Really looking forward to reading about your experiments with flax oil!

Also check this amazing wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photopolymer

Its a good foundation, I'm probably going to try adding specific sub-pages linked to that article which have more in depth information of specific resins and conditions etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast