Close

What do you do with failed 3d prints?

OK, this is starting to bother me. I feel like I waste so much plastic when 3D printing. Almost so that I kinda want to give up. I'm wondering what you guys do when you have a failed print? Do you just throw it away? Are there any good uses for this junk?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragons_Blood View Post
    OK, this is starting to bother me. I feel like I waste so much plastic when 3D printing. Almost so that I kinda want to give up. I'm wondering what you guys do when you have a failed print? Do you just throw it away? Are there any good uses for this junk?
    I'm poor... But plastic isn't that expensive. You get many many hours of printing from a single spool. Just think if you had a hobby of baking. In an hour you can use up $30 worth of ingredients!

With that said... A number of places are working on machines to grind up your old, failed prints and produce new filament. Soon, you won't have to worry about this topic if you can buy one of those machines.

Throw them violently across the workshop and swear a lot.

Ome

Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post

Ome
    A couple times I got mad and piled the parts into a pile in the driveway and burned them. But I'm a better person than I used to be and I don't do this any more.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post

Ome
    Yes, this is the best solution for them I find lol..

but it's not always the machines fault....

Like yesterday... I think I broke the swearing record... Now , don't laugh.. (ok, laugh.. because this is pretty funny... )

I did a 3 hour print of a Gremlin from a collaboration between me and VFXBase, I was so happy with this print...

photo(92).jpg

Now, after this photo was taken I lined up another print job to print Gizmo out BUT... I forgot to take that off the build plate..

It was like
    Then ..
    Then ..
    Then ..

I was painting a few models at the time and was trying to multitask... failure..

Now.. it was printed at 0% infill... when the hot bed raised for the new print, it crushed this into f****ing oblivion.. My kids have never heard me swear so loud... So I had to recalibrate my machine and try again..

Printed out a new one, machine was ok thank god...

Anyway, after that long story it turned out ok

photo(96).jpg

I put them in my oven on a cookie sheet and let them melt.
    No just joking. I toss them into my recycling can.