Close

Starting with 3D scanning/printing

Hello everyone,

I want to get started with both 3D scanning and printing. My goal is to scan an object (which is approximately 40x40x10 inch) and print it afterwards on (hard) plastic. The objects aren't really detailed, the printer doesn't need to be that precisely. I'm completely new to this but I've already found a scanner that'll do the job (I think); 3D Systems Sense. However, I also need a printer that can print these quite big scans.

I'm looking for a complete product that's plug-and-play, I'm not really handy with these kind of things and I simply don't want to spend a lot of money on a DIY-package. What are the options? Is it even possible to print scans this big? Do I need special software for it or does it come with the scanner/printer?

Kind regards,
    Darky
    Last edited by Darky; 05-28-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Technician
    They are printing houses so there are big enough printers, but for normal plastic FDM printer the biggest ready to print machine I know of is this one but there might be others out there.
    If you don't need it to be precise check out what Hans build
    What is your budget? I'm asking because you might be better off with a milling machine for that kind of product size.

It looks like we're from the same country.
    I just e-mailed those people. I don't have an exact budget, it all depends on the ROI (of course). I can invest about 10k in total.
    Last edited by Darky; 05-28-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Technician
    Hi Darky,

I think the guys from Opiliones asked about € 2500,- for their printer, but that was a year ago.
    For 10k you might be able to get a milling machine that will do the size you mentioned.
    Since we are from the same country: http://www.marktplaats.nl/z/doe-het-...categoryId=259 ;o)
    All depends on the material you can use for your products.