Close

free Modeling software that simulates movable parts.

Is there a modeling software where you can simulate a part moving?

i remember when i was using solidworks back in college, it had a system where you can set up multiple components. set the parameters. then you can see everything move as they should.

simple example
    align outside of the screw with the inside of a nut. now the movement is restricted.

now with complex things with multiple pieces everything is essentially tied together.
    you can check to see if everything fits in place.

my current build is currently 5 pieces. 3 springs and wire/string of some sort. only 2 need to be actually glued together. so seperate pieces seems like a more viable option then going for 1 piece with supports that break away. also the spring and string seem like the best option currently. but dont think they are any prints for those.

Edit 6 pieces. 5 springs/ 0 strings.

///////sidenote//////
    first print/dont own a printer. this 1 will probably go be printed out at a makerbot shop. which will also serve as a benchmark for how much i want to invest. spend $500 on a reprap kit? 2000 on a makerbot. wait for the $5k autodesk printer?

essentially a trial run to see how effectively i can print out 1 of my ideas into a functioning piece. the models of stuff look nice but i want to make something i can use =P
    Last edited by MrSmiley666; 05-27-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Autodesk's Fusion 360 will do that.

not bad. but for a hobbyist $40 a month it looses its cost effectiveness

was kinda hoping there was a free software.

even if its just importing pieces. testing. then going back to original modeling software to make changes
    Last edited by MrSmiley666; 05-27-2014 at 09:42 PM.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    It is free for non commercial use. I have been using it for months and haven't paid anything. It should show you a link to where you sign up as an enthusiast.

i see a enthusiast note for 1 year. i suppose that's ok for now. although not ideal to have to learn something new in a year

although who knows what kind of software we might see developing in that time =P

Free enthusiast software††

Get a free 1-year license for personal or not-for-profit use.
    Get it now
    thx, though its a place to get started =)
    Last edited by MrSmiley666; 05-27-2014 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmiley666 View Post
    i see a enthusiast note for 1 year. i suppose that's ok for now. although not ideal to have to learn something new in a year

although who knows what kind of software we might see developing in that time =P

thx, though its a place to get started =)
    You can just sign up for another free year once this year is up.

-k