Close

Twitter Co-founder Biz Stone Tweets 3D Printing Prediction

Thought this was an interesting prediction made by the Co-Founder of Twitter, Biz Stone. The tweet stated: In ten years Nike could be a pure software company. We'll just 3D print our sneakers. #crazyprediction

What do you guys think? Do you think that this "crazy prediction," will become a reality by 2024 or so? If Nike does in fact become a pure software company, you can bet on it that several manufacturers will go the same route. We are certainly in for some crazy times ahead from a business and technology standpoint.

Full story located here:
    http://3dprint.com/3513/nike-softwar...ars-biz-stone/

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    It's a great concept but I think we are a long way from the quality control issues that Nike would want to maintain. Brand, quality and image are so important. If you see a bunch of poorly printed Nike shoes running around town, then you might assume that Nike shoes are poor quality. Granted, someone can buy new Nikes and wear them for 5-years and have some pretty bad looking shoes displaying the brand. But, in order for all of these companies to become "software" companies and we just buy the GCode, 3d printers have to become all of the same consistent quality. Maybe a few "qualified" printers will appear from the fog that are accepted by this new paradigm. If that occurs, I do see it as a possibility but I'd bet it's more than 10-years away.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Technician
    Yea, for this to work Nike would have to be in control of everything. Like you said, I don't think Nike would want people showing off their poorly printed shoes.

Staff Engineer
    Certainly not Nike, but I could see a startup shoe design company distributing the gCode for their shoes to proliferate their look in a grassroots way. It would be more likely a startup because they would have much less to lose with the lack of quality control, and there are worse goals than becoming the next Converse Shoes... I'm probably dating myself there, how long were the Converse high-tops the must-have shoe in spite of (or perhaps because of) mediocre build quality?

Also, of the people who have printed their own shoes... How do they look and feel as they wear down? Do they partially delaminate becoming softer, or do they fray apart becoming jagged?

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    I think you make a good point. Startups will certainly jump in before the big name brands do I think. I guess what's good is that when they wear down or get jagged, you just print new ones. It's up to the wearer how long to wear them as they get worn out.

What would be cool is that you'll be able to print items for a single use or several uses. That's going to create a refuse and recycle issue but what if you just needed a pair of shoes to last for one race or one event. You could print new shoes each time you had an event. Or, if you were going to be doing something what was going to ruin a pair of shoes. You could print them, use and ruin them and then dispose of them. Kind of interesting. You could start a company that specialized in Gcode for all kinds of "one use" items. Better go buy "once.com" right away.... (Just checked, it's already registered. But, disposablenecessities.com is available. You get the point.)
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com