Close

Threaded View

STL File Problems (solidworks/openscad)

I'm currently printing out a modified version of i3 plastic parts for a modified variant of the Prusa Mendel i3. The original STL files I used were obtained from the i3 rework wiki page in the Thingiverse link. Because I've had plenty of experience using Solidworks (have the educational version), I used it to modify the parts. However, importing it as a solid body to the program scaled the model up so part was metres long instead of millimetres long. After modifying it, I exported the part files as STL files and imported them back into Solidworks again as a part file. I had to do this because scaling them down produced errors and some faces disappeared or lines sprawled over the part. I then scaled them down and exported them again as STL files.

When the files were sent off to be 3D printed by another person, they said that the files were either locked or not in a standard .stl format. And also the components were oriented wrong and were trying to print in 'thin air'. I opened them using OpenSCAD and turns out the program opened the files, but could not display it.

The main issue here is trying to get these files to be print ready. Are there any tips that anyone can offer?

I've attached 2 files: Z-AXIS-TOP-RIGHT-V2 is the original STL file, and Z Axis Top Right is the same part modified in Solidworks and oriented properly. Using OpenSCAD, the 1st file opens and displays without fault but the 2nd file opens but does not display.

Thanks in advance!

John

Z Axis Top Right.STL
    Z-AXIS-TOP-RIGHT-V2.stl
    Last edited by wingshafts; 05-12-2014 at 01:50 AM.