Close

Is it possible to be allergic to PLA?

Ok, this may be a weird question, but the other day I printed a bracelet for my girl friend, using makerbot PLA. She wore it for approximately 2 hours before complaining that it was itching her wrist. She took it off and had these red hive-looking bumps. She took a benadril and the bumps went away within an hour. However, she now refuses to wear it, and I kinda feel bad. Has anyone ever had this sort of reaction to PLA before, or know if it is even possible? Could it be something else that caused this?

Sure, we can be allergic to almost anything that surrounds us. As for it being PLA, we never know what truly goes into manufacturing them so it could be anything.

Technologist
    Definitely... as MeoWorks said, people can be allergic to pretty much anything, down to people who are allergic to specific color dye's and food coloring's, having to avoid red M&M's for example, whereas all the others are fine.

I haven't seen or heard of anyone being allergic to PLA, but it is definitely possible. I would suggest trying again but make sure you have the medicine on hand.