Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Engineer
    Yeah... I think that's gonna depend upon what you were cooking in the smoker. I've seen coffee flavored filament, and I could probably get behind some kind of BBQ aroma, but not so sure I could endorse fish filament.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Oooh, now that's something I'd never thought to do before.
    cold smoke my filament !
    Hot diggity that might actually be a thing lol
    Wonder how it would effect prints. Might have to throw a roll in the smoker next time I cold smoke something.

As far as my filament being effected by moisture.
    Hasn't happened yet. even on wet days my workshop is pretty stable: between 48-54% RH
    Most filament rolls come with large sealable bags with a silicon pouch inside. But much of my filament is just stacked in the raw.
    Pla is apparently relatively unaffected by it anyway.
    Likewise I've not had any issues with pet-g not stored in bags either.

Stuff like nylon is always kept in bags with desiccant.

And #40fan - get yourself an excalibur dehydrator. Temperature controlled. Also great for making snackstix. :-)

If you're in the UK Solent Plastics do what they call 'scuba boxes' which have hermetically sealed lids for reasonable prices.

Engineer-in-Training
    Damn, that is too much for a dehydrator, Aardvark. I think I gave $40 for the one I have many years ago and it has processed quite a bit of deer and beef.....and some filament.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I work on the principle that if I want a bit of kit - might as well get the best I can afford. The excaliburs are real nice dehydrators.
    Beauty of it is I can go down to 35c for making proper biltong (which breaks all the rules of american jerky) or up to 68 for making snackstix.
    Plus when i got the dehydrator you couldn't buy the cheapo flying saucer types in the uk.

Which reminds me - not tried alexa with nylon yet.

Engineer-in-Training
    I have a similar problem (3d printer in a garage in a rainy city).

My solution was a drybox, which consists of:

Plastic storage bin with rubber gasket, mounted on it's side (lid facing forward) on a rack above the printer.

32987-sterilite-gasket-box-20-qt-pack-of-6_1_640.jpg
    Reel rack similar to this installed in bin:
    HATCHBOX-2-Spool-3D-Printer-Filament-Tabletop-Wall-Mount-Rack-0-0.jpg

Teflon tube pokes through sealed holes in the box to guide the filament to the extruder

Then I put a paper lunch bag half full of drierite desiccant in the box.

Measured humidity outside the box is 63% inside the box it's 3%

Once the humidity in the box goes over 10%, which takes weeks, I replace the dririte with some fresh stuff. You can dry out the desiccant by cooking it in an oven at 425F for a few hours, been using the same jar of drierite for years now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12