Close

Help dialing in my settings

Hi all i'm new here and to 3d printing I have recently purchased a Prusa I3 MK2s I have done a few prints and thought i should finally print a benchy and was wondering if anybody has any feedback to help improve my print quality.

Material: Prusa PLA
    Nozzle temp: 215
    Bed temp: 55
    Layer height: 0.1mm

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    temp is pretty high - what speed was it printed at.
    I wouldn't have thought it was 0.1mm layers, but the high temp would account for that.
    The thinner the layer height the lower the printing temp - roughly speaking (when you get to big layer thicknesses you cool it down again to avoid slumpage).
    Try it again at 200c

Other than that looks pretty good to me.

that said i have never printed a benchy and most likely never will.
    Simply because it has zero practical value and therefore is just wasted plastic heading for the bin:-)
    I try and print things I actually want - even for tuning. A thing might be a little rough, but if it's still functional - who cares :-)

Thanks for that i will give it a try, that may account for the slight droop in the front window bridging

**Edit

Oh and im not sure on speed its just 100% (using Simplifiy3D)

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    okay - first thing.
    Always know what the settings are. even if you don't change them, look at them.
    speed in s3d is in the 'other' tab. No idea why.

i3's tend to max out at around 60-70mm/s. it's because they have to move the mass of the bed and carriage. So speed merchants they are not. Normal printing speed for an i3 would probably be around 40-50mm/s.
    But as benchy's go - that I've seen - that's pretty good.

Thanks i have lowered the temp now of the nozzel to 200 and it seems better and had a bit more of an in depth look at the settings in s3d and in the other section is that not just the speed settings for bridging? as in the speed setting i am currently set at 2400.00 mm/min under defult printing speed and in the bridging section under other i have the unsupported area threshold set at 50 sq mm

S3d 4.0

also in the birds eye pic of the benchy on the square box that sits on the deck i have seperation between the inner and outer perimeter, i dont know if this is a settings issue or a z height issue?

Thanks for all your help